Selling a car currently on PCP for a friend

Options

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Elika0215 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this out but this is his response when I said he needed to go to the finance company. "What I do is get a settlement letter from the loan company and buyer pays them direct with any surplus to me.".

Does that sound legitimate?
    If he really wants to go down this route tell him to open his own eBay account, it takes minutes.

This ensures you are in no way involved. Don't let him drag you into his schemes. Selling cars on eBay can be a nightmare at the best of times, selling one with outstanding finance for a mate is only going to end in tears.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes he gets settlement figure yes the buyer pays the finance directly not from a phone number provided by the seller, there is highly likely to be no surplus, more likely to be a deficit which your friend will need to pay at same time.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to drag this out but this is his response when I said he needed to go to the finance company. "What I do is get a settlement letter from the loan company and buyer pays them direct with any surplus to me.".

How many times do we have to talk you out of this?

The advice you have been given is sound. Do not get involved and save yourself a lot of problems. Or, believe your friend and deal with whatever issues come your way. You have already said yourself that you do not trust this friend when it comes to money matters - at least listen to your own advice if you are not going to heed anyone else's.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options

Why do you care, its nothing to do with you and everything to do with your friend and the finance company.

Seriously, if this a PCP deal and he is not very near the end then there will probably be little or no equity in the vehicle.

Tell him to get a settlement figure and aim to sell it for at least that and wish him all the luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like he wants to sell the PCP car to free up some cash to go an spend elsewhere rather than to settle the PCP agreement. I would walk a mile.

Also no one is going to buy it unless they have proof that the PCP has been settled. Unless they are daft as well.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a friend that I totally trust with everything...except money. He's blown an absolute fortune, relative to what I consider a lot of money, and is blinded by big-money schemes. People around him have tried to help after receiving multiple guarantees of repayment only to have been ignored and avoided once deadlines have passed. You'll see why that's relevant in a mo!

He now wants to sell his car which he currently has on PCP finance and as he's never had an ebay account, has asked me if I can do it.

So, I now have the ad saved as a draft on ebay under my account.

When the car sells and payment is made, isn't there an obligation to repay the PCP loan in full? If so, are there any implications on me as the seller and recipient of funds (I'll then transfer it to him) if he chooses to pocket the money rather than repay the PCP?

Frankly, I think it'll be sold, PCP paid off and job done. I really want to help so don't want to refuse unless there's a clear risk on my part.

OP read your first paragraph slowly out loud

"I have a friend that I totally trust with everything...except money. He's blown an absolute fortune, relative to what I consider a lot of money, and is blinded by big-money schemes. People around him have tried to help after receiving multiple guarantees of repayment only to have been ignored and avoided once deadlines have passed. You'll see why that's relevant in a mo!"

Then run a mile:eek:
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like he wants to sell the PCP car to free up some cash to go an spend elsewhere rather than to settle the PCP agreement. I would walk a mile.

Also no one is going to buy it unless they have proof that the PCP has been settled. Unless they are daft as well.

"Unless they are daft as well"......price it low enough and they'll come running
  • Elika0215
    Elika0215 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, just got these and wanted to say that the loan note comment didn't mean I was reconsidering it. I just wanted to know if it was legitimate.

I took the overwhelming advice to not get involved early on and am therefore relieved that I posted on here first to check.

So, thank you. All the responses, including the blunt ones (which I know were intended to make me understand what a terrible idea it was) :) are appreciated.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just one other point if I may.

If someone does actually buy the car without checking the PCP status. When they eventually do find out, their first port of call will inevitably be Ebay. This will open up a whole different can of sh t worms on YOUR account !!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Simonffc wrote: »
    As some who works for Webuyanycar I can say we regularly beat VT termination and customers either end up it a lower negative equity position or in a large number of circumstances actually receiving a surplus. VT often involves a termination fee and then an assessment of mileage and condition of vehicle which is equivalent to ours, always worth dropping in to the local branch and seeing what we can offer.

Advertising is not allowed on this site and staff members have to be approved by admin. Reported as spam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure