Main dealer repairs and parts costs

Options
I would like to highlight the potentially incredibly high costs associated with dealing with a franchised dealer for motor repair work and especially parts.
My son is an electrician and in 2014 bought a new Vauxhall Combi 1.3 diesel van for his work. He has always used Vauxhall main dealers for servicing. In recent months the van began to run very roughly and lacked power. 2 weeks ago He took it to SLM Vauxhall in Tunbridge Wells. They said it needed new fuel ejectors. These were replaced at a cost of a little over £2,000. My son was told the EGR valve was also cleaned. On collection on the Saturday my son found the van still ran very roughly and lacked power. The next Monday he was told that a new EGR valve was required and was quoted £1316 plus VAT for the valve with a total cost to supply and fit of around £2,000. I contacted a small local garage, Sovereign Motors in Tonbridge who quoted £195 +VAT for the valve with a total price to supply and fit of £522 including VAT. A Pierburg brand valve was fitted which is the same brand as the original valve that was replaced. The van now runs perfectly. How can a main dealer justify such a phenomenal mark-up on the part (£1316 compared to £199) The local garage obviously made a profit on the part.
People like my son go to main dealers because they believe there is added security. In fact they may be being ripped-off.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They don't need to justify it, they're free to charge what they wish just like customers are free (in the most part) to go and take their business elsewhere.

"Peace of mind" and "added security" often come with a price attached as your son found out.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The main dealer are charging Vauxhall's list price for the part.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Options
    I would not take a 5 year old van to vauxhall after the main warrenty had ran out, especially if i was planning on keeping it for a good while and running it into the ground having full main dealer service on a van in the long run does not really help hold its value as the van gets older and older yes it may be attarctive to sell but wont increase its value by much bar a few hundred

Main dealers are way more expensive than indipendent garages nearly everyone knows this, i know people who just buy the service parts from the main dealers and keep the invoices and just service the car at a local garage

Overall they just have higher operating costs which they pass on to you the customer
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Main dealers have reception staff, fancy buildings to pay for and no doubt higher rent and rates. Any and all customers contribute towards these costs.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    That 'free' coffee and nice leatherette seats have a cost...
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Used to work for a Dealership - always a challenge to retain customers - tended to come within the warranty period. Otherwise, it was company cars, Though some liked the status of using the main dealer, and have fewer worries about 'cowboy' garages!
    Aftermarket parts are cheaper, though not all parts have a non-dealer alternative.
    But fitting charges will be different - Dealerships will charge in accordance with factory hours for a job. But the fitter, has done many similar such jobs, and he does in say 80% of the standard time. The independent garage will charge labour for the time taken, to fit - downside - it may be much longer than standard time!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport