Sole trader , complete beginner

Options
Hi , i hope you dont mind me asking for a bit of advice . Me and my wife both work full time , but we have just acquired an ice cream van . My question regards registering with the hmrc regarding tax . I earn about 33,000 pa and my wife about 16,000 pa . i have looked on their website and cannot seem to find out how the tax we owe as a couple will be paid . I obviously wouldn't want to go over the 40,000 tax threshold if i can help it , so is it possible to combine our income or would it be better and legal to register in my wife's name . Thank you for any help you can give me

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Registering it as a partnership may be the answer, then you can share profits in any proportion you choose as long as you both work in the business, i.e. you could allocate all the profits to your wife, or say 75:25 if a 50:50 share would push you into higher rate. You can also change the profit sharing ratio each year to suit.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    As Pennywise suggests, a partnership may be the answer. But worth saying that as a couple, you do not owe tax: you owe it as individuals and that's how it's calculated.

And what Pennywise did NOT say is that you will then need to do three tax returns each year: one for you, one for your wife, and one for the partnership. My advice: get an accountant to explain all this to you! And keep meticulous records ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bobbynobs
    Options
    Thanks for you replies , looks like it will be too complicated for me to do myself . Time to look for an accountant .
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Options
    bobbynobs wrote: »
    Thanks for you replies , looks like it will be too complicated for me to do myself . Time to look for an accountant .
    Good idea to speak to an accountant, but you need to keep the accounts so you know how well your business is going. The more you can do to get the accounts ready, the less the accountant will charge you. If after taking the accountant's advice you feel confident to do so, you may wish to draw up the accounts and deal with tax yourself
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The accountant may also suggest registering a limited company. This might provide some useful protection given that you are serving a foodstuff and could be sued if you make someone ill.

Having the right insurance for the business is also something the accountant may be able to advise on, but a good insurance broker should be able to explain the risks that your business will face and how you might insure against these. Do be aware that their job is to sell insurance though...
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    The accountant may also suggest registering a limited company. This might provide some useful protection given that you are serving a foodstuff and could be sued if you make someone ill.

Having the right insurance for the business is also something the accountant may be able to advise on, but a good insurance broker should be able to explain the risks that your business will face and how you might insure against these. Do be aware that their job is to sell insurance though...

Good point about insurance. I am not so sure how being Ltd will protect you further from matters such as someone falling ill from one of your products if you are covered by insurance.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they are trading as a limited company it is the company that will have to be sued restricting their liability. It might make sense to look into a limited liability partnership instead. Just like a partnership but limits the partners exposure. (This explanation is simplified)
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • bobbynobs
    Options
    Thanks again for your replies , public liability insurance £5 million cover is about £70 a year which i dont think is too bad .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure