PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground rent arrears / Debt collection

Options
Hi, hoping for a bit of help:

We purchased our home approx 4 years ago, and didn't receive a demand for ground rent until December 2017.

The letter demanded the ground rent arrears and an administration charge of £60.

I was in the process of querying the charge with the ground rent company and am currently awaiting a reply as I asked for a breakdown of the administration charge as I felt it was unduly high.

The total of the administration charge and the ground rent arrears was circa £76

Today I have received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding nearly £400.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    straas wrote: »
    Hi, hoping for a bit of help:

We purchased our home approx 4 years ago, and didn't receive a demand for ground rent until December 2017.

The letter demanded the ground rent arrears and an administration charge of £60.

I was in the process of querying the charge with the ground rent company and am currently awaiting a reply as I asked for a breakdown of the administration charge as I felt it was unduly high.

The total of the administration charge and the ground rent arrears was circa £76

Today I have received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding nearly £400.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks

No-one can tell you. You don't say WHY it's jumped an additional £324.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    The letter doesn't state.

The ground rent is £4 annually, the administration charge from the ground rent company was £60.

The debt collection letter asks for £392 and states that £192 of this is their fee (inc. VAT)
  • Comms69
    Options
    The letter doesn't state.

The ground rent is £4 annually, the administration charge from the ground rent company was £60.

The debt collection letter asks for £392 and states that £192 of this is their fee (inc. VAT)

Perhaps it's been to court?

Debt collectors can only add limited charges. Bailiffs on the other hand have quite substantial charges to be added.

It might be that you have a CCJ
  • straas
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's been to court?

Debt collectors can only add limited charges. Bailiffs on the other hand have quite substantial charges to be added.

It might be that you have a CCJ

Would I not have had some correspondence stating this?
  • Comms69
    Options
    Would I not have had some correspondence stating this?
    Well in theory yes, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Without seeing the letter its impossible to say. I'd phone the management company and ask them
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * so you owe 4 x £4 - £16 yes?
    * are you living at the property or is it perhaps rented out?
    * are you sure you never received a demand for payment before? Might it have gone elsewhere or been ignored or lost?
    * an admin charge of £60 is not unusual where chasing non-payment is involved - the question is whether this is the 1st demand for payment or not
    * what date in December was the letter sent? A reasonable gap would be required before passing it to debt collectors.
    * the debt collectors fee seems high, but why did you not take immediate acton when 1st letter received in December?
  • straas
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Well in theory yes, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Without seeing the letter its impossible to say. I'd phone the management company and ask them

They have no phone number, it's email only. They have asked for all correspondence to now be with the debt collection agency.
  • straas
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    * so you owe 4 x £4 - £16 yes?
    * are you living at the property or is it perhaps rented out?
    * are you sure you never received a demand for payment before? Might it have gone elsewhere or been ignored or lost?
    * an admin chare of £60 is not unusual were chasing non-payment is involved - the question is whether this is the 1st demand for payment or not
    * what datee in December was the letter sent? A reasonable gap would be required before passing it to debt collectors.
    * the debt collectors fee seems high, but wh did you not take immediate acton when 1st leter received in December?

The demand letter was received 5th December.

I was in the process of querying the administration charge, they have been slow to reply which I put down to the christmas period.

And yes I owe £16, so £392 is quite the jump!
  • Comms69
    Options
    They have no phone number, it's email only. They have asked for all correspondence to now be with the debt collection agency.
    That may well be unfortunate. You don't owe the debt collectors any money.

*** assuming they are JUST debt collectors
  • straas
    Options
    This is the letter I received today. I was told the next step would be taken 7 days from the date on the letter (9th)

https://ibb.co/kjuP7R
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport