PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leaseholder with a pet

Options
I requested permission from the freeholder over 2 years ago permission to get a dog. This was approved.

She is now making all sorts of threats to get rid of the dog as dog mess has been found in the garden. I am adamant the mess is not from my dog (fox and another dog have access to the garden) but I am getting the blame.

Does anyone know what rights I have? I have now been told I have to take my dog out in to the garden on a lead every time (I live in a ground floor flat with direct access to the garden). If I had known this would be a rule I would have never got a dog in the first place.

Many thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the exact wording in your lease regarding pets?

What is the exact wording you received 2 years ago from the freeholder?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have now been told I have to take my dog out in to the garden on a lead every time
    That would seem to be a very reasonable request by the freeholder. I would imagine she is responding to complaints from other residents?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it a communal garden?

What is your problem with keeping it on the lead?

Keeping it on the lead ensures you are aware of when and where your dog goes and pick it up.

Presumably you take your dog out for walks so instead of letting it out into the garden take it out at regular times during day to allow it to toilet then you cannot be blamed for any mess in the garden.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    You can get a long lead or an extending one so that your dog can still potter about the garden and have a bit of freedom, but I think if its a communal garden it is actually fair enough.

I would also pick up any and all dog mess that you find in the garden, even if it isn't from your dog its in your interest not to upset the other people who use the communal garden. You don't want them to think of the dogs in the building as just a nuisance.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There may be no mess.

It might be that some other residents don't like sharing a garden with unrestrained dogs, have complained, and the freeholder has invented mess as the reason to bring in a restriction not originally thought-of.

Either way, it's a reasonable one, ensuring that dogs aren't just turfed-out in the garden on their own, or that dogs with owners who need training, keep them under control whilst there.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree as a flat owner myself I would not be too happy with dogs off the lead in a communual garden. What you need to consider is that not everyone likes dogs and some are also afraid of them so allowing your dog off the lead can also result in fellow residents loosing their enjoyment of the garden. Also if it’s on the lead you can absolutely be sure it’s not your dog that’s responsible for the mess.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I get not quite hours of fun but certainly many many minutes watching my neighbours chase their dog round the communal garden shouting 'come'. I don't think someone who was nervous of dogs would be quite so amused.

I have contemplated getting another dog myself, but it would need to be trained to go in one place, and I certainly think that only letting it out when accompanied or on a lead would be entirely reasonable. its a question of respect for the neighbours. And yes, if the garden is communal then picking up after any dog is not unreasonable. If you can catch the other owner and dog in flagrante, all well and good but until you do, you are the dog ambassador for the building.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    There may be no mess.

It might be that some other residents don't like sharing a garden with unrestrained dogs, have complained, and the freeholder has invented mess as the reason to bring in a restriction not originally thought-of.

Or maybe the other resident is creating the mess themselves in protest as they don't like dogs?

Still I cannot see why you would always want your dog on a lead like a responsible owner anyway.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    You can get a long lead or an extending one so that your dog can still potter about the garden and have a bit of freedom, but I think if its a communal garden it is actually fair enough.

Those leads are actually extremely dangerous lots of people (including dog owners/walkers) want them banned.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    Those leads are actually extremely dangerous lots of people (including dog owners/walkers) want them banned.

Extremely dangerous? Long leads? How? Perhaps if the owner isn't paying attention and lets the dog wander across the road or into the path of someone in a wheelchair or something, but loads of stuff can be dangerous in the hands of idiots.

I can't imagine the danger of using them in your own garden is that severe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure