Sold my car: Rang insurance but no refund

Options
I just sold my car earlier today and have emailed DVLA to notify them. I then contacted my insurance company to tell them aswell (expecting to hear that I was entitled to a refund) but I was told there's no refund as I have had the policy for over 90 days.

The policy is a dual policy (i.e. two cars) and is a classic car policy (both cars are classic cars), however I cant find anywhere on any of the policy documents that no refund is applicable after 90 days

The total policy was £600 and was renewed back in April so I was thinking about £100 - £150 refund (simple maths approach being £300 per car and still 6 months worth of insurance so about £150).

Its not the amount of money I'm bothered about but the principal (I have 6 months unused insurance so surely something should be refunded)?? I would understand if I was told that irrespective of selling one of the cars you still have insurance on the other hence no refund as the policy is still active. But I was told it was due to being over 90 days (so had I sold both cars today then are they saying there would be no refund either).

Anyone else had this?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    What company is this?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look at your Terms etc. Cacelling brings about cancellation charge and very oftem afmin charge too
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • singhini
    Options
    What company is this?

The company I took the policy through are called "ClassicLine" based in Hinckley

I just looked on the insurance certificate and the policy is underwritten by a company called "ERG Group"
  • singhini
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Look at your Terms etc. Cacelling brings about cancellation charge and very oftem afmin charge too

Good point - insurance companies do tend to charge an admin fee to cancel (to answer your question I cant see any T&C's relating to cancellation charges, just T&C's regarding what is covered and upto what limits and what excess's apply i.e. i'm limited to 1,500 miles annually and windscreen excess is £75) I can see this sort of information but nothing to do with cancellations

I will ring them up again tomorrow and ask them to show/point out where this info is located.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Given it's a dual policy, what happened to the other car?
  • singhini
    Options
    ah think ive found something on an original email from them:

6.3 Insurers all vary with regard to premium refunds on cancellation so please refer to your policy document to find out if any premium is refundable.

now I need to find my policy document
  • singhini
    Options
    Given it's a dual policy, what happened to the other car?
    still got it
  • singhini
    Options
    Found it:

upto 30 days = 60% refund
    31-60 days = 40% refund
    61-90 days = 20% refund
    over 90 days = 0%

Well I should have read the T&C's properly.

Thanks to all those who responded
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a way around this, too late for you now though. Tell them you've bought something they won't insure, like a minibus. They'll cancel your policy with a pro-rata refund.

I may or may not have done this many, many years ago, perhaps by using a reg from a minibus on ebay. No warranty is given or implied with this advice :)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    There is a way around this, too late for you now though. Tell them you've bought something they won't insure, like a minibus. They'll cancel your policy with a pro-rata refund.

I may or may not have done this many, many years ago, perhaps by using a reg from a minibus on ebay. No warranty is given or implied with this advice :)

That sounds like fraud to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport