Recent Experiences with DAS Legal Expenses Insurance

Options
Hello

I'd like to know if anyone has any recent experience with these numpties?

I have two cases for the past 2 years that they are doing nothing to resolve.

I'm using their panel solicitor for the first one and he is useless.
The second one they are trying to avoid paying my own solicitor and want me to enter a CFA and pay 25% of the winning. As I have already won the case it is a big chunk out of what is an unknown settlement.

My experience of their Claims department is as follows:

- When I call they are friendly, seemingly helpful and very casual. They have all the time in the world to talk.
- But they never follow through any promise of a call back or any written confirmation of what is agreed.
- They ignore ALL correspondence and just love for you to make a complaint. That way nothing needs to be done.
- They are equally happy for complaints to go to the FOS because again nothing will be done.
- They ignore the EU rulings about choosing your own solicitor and the FCA are complicit in allowing this to continue.
- They will do everything to avoid paying out anything.
- They say the policy is cheap so you shouldn't expect much. At this rate it is expensive because they either bin the case, ruin it or manage both.

They have caused me so much grief because they promise to call and never do. As a result I'm waiting around getting more tense and anxious. They also know customers have no recourse, given we need them for legal services in the first place. We are unlikely to be able to sue them. The regulators are failing so they have the power.

If other people have any of these experiences please share and maybe we can do a joint complaint, or go to the media. I know the Guardian has done articles about them.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• catherine.cordon
    catherine.cordon Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2019 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Das Legal expense Insurers. deliberately sabotaged my very strong insured Claims valued at £ 850k ++ because I 'blew the whistle' about their malpractices.with The FOS and others. I was threatened intimidated in the most vile way, and they used the solicitors they appointed to carry out criminal acts of fraud to achieve the outcome of 5 June 2017, when my claims were 'struck out'. They have blocked me from pursuing my claims against the law foirms they used to carry out unlawful cts they instigated. I have the admissions from the law firms Das appointed that this happened because Das had a 'conflict of interest' with the corporations involved with my insured Claims. Shockingly the law firms complied with and abetted Das. Everyhting you have written also happened to me.. I have been avised that to take out a private claims against Das will cost me £ 120k I suggest that people who have suffered because of Das form a group and approach a solcitor to take on our claims against Das. This situation has ade me nd my husband very ill. Catherine Cordon@hotmail.co.uk
  • catherine.cordon
    Options
    DAS LEI UK BRISTOL FOR ANYONE WHOSE HAS SUFFERED BECAUSE OF DAS OR OTHER LEI PROVIDERS.
    I have contacted the BBC Bristol (Dickon Cooper) see my email below please forward the BBC your complaints .as something has got to be done about this criminal organisaton.

Sent: 30 September 2019 11:13
    To: Dickon Hooper <dickon.hooper@bbc.co.uk>
    Subject: Re: 'Whistle Blowing' making public disclosers Das LlEI UK (Bristol)

Good morning Dickon,

I wondered if you have had the opportunity to read the info I sent you last week.

Something has got to be done about this organisation because they are literally robbing their customers and destroying peoples lives..

I have just read some new shocking stories on line about Das malpractices and the sheer misery they are causing their customers.

Can those Das customers who have been 'ripped off' by Das contact you also ?

Das are in breach of all their corporate 'mumbo jumbo' about being 'leaders of justice'.

I have touched upon the particularly vile nature of the threats intimidation and B&H I was subjected to after I 'blew the whistle' about Das malpractices and would like to share that evidence with you in summary below but certainly not the full picture..
    - I was repeatedly screamed and shouted at and told repeatedly 'You are insane' ' No you are
    completely insane' if you do not withdraw your complaints against Das
    - I was told ' Das would not fund my claims unless I withdrew my complaints against them'.
    - I was told by the law firms that unless I withdrew my complaints against Das they could not work for me under instruction by Das
    - I was told that ' You will not survive the stress and you could die' if I pursued with my claims against Das
    - I was told that 'my cancer would return' and ' you will not survive secondary cancer' if I continued with my complaints against Das.
    - I was told that my very strong high value claims would be given 'zero value and success rates' unless I withdrew my complaints
    - I have evidence that because I did not withdraw my complaints against Das they and the law firms concoted many, many unlawful acts including deliberately changing vital information on false grounds and basis which ensured my claims would be 'struck out' because those acts were irretrievable
    - I have evidence that the law firms have stated Das caused them a 'conflict of interest' which prejudiced my Claims and that they were 'set-up' by Das
    - I have evidence that I now have further major health issues which I know have been caused by the stress of this appalling situation
    - I have evidence that my marriage and also my husbands health has suffered terribly because of these matters

I have explained the impossible situation for me 'other' Das customers that to take them on legally will cost £ 100k ++ that is an impossibility for me and I am sure most Das customers

Kind regards
    Catherine
    01628 667694
  • catherine.cordon
    Options
    Please share i f anyone else has received similar /same phony completely made-up T&C and policy docunents from Das that I was sent solely to cover up for their gross malpractices, as below:which are conflcting with my legal rights under the legitimate (ha ha) policies with Das and my Home Insurers Zurich/Towergate who couldn't give a flying f--k. They' re complicity is as bad.as Das

Your Ref:
    Our Ref:
    Direct Dial:
    Date:
    Email:

Dear

Your claim for Legal Expenses Insurance

The purpose of this letter is to outline the requirements of DAS and your responsibilities under your legal expenses insurance policy in order that indemnity may be provided in relation to the fees incurred by instructing ….. on a Direct Access basis.

As you are aware from previous correspondence regarding this claim DAS require, under the terms of your legal expenses insurance policy, that prospects of success exist in relation to your claim. This requirement does not apply solely at the outset of the case but throughout the life of the claim and therefore, in all claims funded by DAS, it is a requirement that the appointed Solicitor regularly reviews the prospects of success and reports the same.

In view of the fact that you will not be represented by an appointed Solicitor, we will require you to instruct …….. to report to us on a 3 monthly basis outlining, inter alia, the present position of the case, prospects of success and the current level of costs for both you and your opponent. DAS reserves its right to contact you for a costs estimate update from time to time.

….. will be sent a standard pro-forma (Case Management Report Form) to complete, which will contain a number of questions DAS will require to be answered in order for funding to continue. Please note that, as with all legal representatives appointed by DAS, ……fees for reporting to DAS will not be chargeable to DAS.

In addition to the above there are also further requirements placed upon you by virtue of the legal expenses insurance policy, which we wish to draw to your attention:

1. You will note that your policy provides for only your reasonable and necessary costs to be paid under the terms of your legal expenses insurance. At the conclusion of the case, DAS will require a copy of your file of papers to be sent to a costs draftsman in order that they may assess the costs incurred on the file. Should any of the costs incurred be found to be unreasonable or unnecessary then DAS will not be responsible for the same. DAS will pay costs in accordance with the Standard Basis only.

2. DAS will also require you to seek its approval prior to taking any further legal action and to keep us updated with regard to any directions of the Court and any hearings (to include CMDs and interim matters). Furthermore, you must seek our approval, (as is required with all policyholders) prior to incurring Counsel or experts fees on your claim. Any fees incurred without prior notice to DAS will not be settled by DAS. In addition …… will also be expected to charge a rate in line with that of DAS’ preferred Barrister’s chambers and as such, we will require you to obtain a quote from ……. before we agree to …… fees for a particular issue.

3. …….. as your appointed representative, is required to co-operate with DAS at all times. Your policy provides that …….. will have direct contact with DAS at all times and as such should DAS contact …….for any purpose DAS will require …….. to provide us with the information requested. In view of the unique nature of this agreement, and as per the terms of the policy between us, DAS expect you to waive all rights to Client confidentiality in respect of your case, in order that ……. is able to keep DAS updated as required by your legal expenses insurance policy.

4. In addition to the above, you are required to advise DAS of each and every offer of settlement of your case received from the other side and any failure to do so will result in DAS withdrawing indemnity going forward. Furthermore DAS are able to require you to accept any offer deemed to be reasonable. Finally, DAS retains its’ right as within your policy to pay you the amount of damages you are claiming, in settlement of its liabilities under your policy.

5. You will also be required to take every step to limit DAS’ liability for both your costs and those of your opponent, which will include considering mediation if offered. If DAS is unreasonably exposed to a liability for the other side’s costs then DAS will seek reimbursement from you in respect of the same. You will also be required to repay to DAS any costs recovered from the other side. This requirement will also apply should you settle your claim or withdraw your claim without our agreement (even on terms favourable to you). In these circumstances, DAS will immediately cease to provide indemnity and will be entitled to reclaim all costs and expenses already paid under your policy.

6. In relation to ……. costs, please note DAS does not pay interim payments and as such ……. will not be paid for any work done on this matter, until such time as the matter is settled and costs have been assessed.

7. DAS will further require you to ensure that all costs incurred whilst pursuing the claim are both reasonable and proportionate in relation to the nature of the litigation and that DAS are advised immediately of any changes of circumstances surrounding the claim i.e. the facts applicable to the claim or changes in the law. Any failure to do so will result in DAS not being responsible for the ongoing costs associated with the claim. DAS will not pay your opponent’s costs negotiated by you unless prior written approval has been obtained from DAS.

8. DAS will also retain the right to require an audit be carried out of your file, by one of its preferred firms of Solicitors. If such a request is made you will be required, at your own cost, to send your entire file to one of our preferred firms of Solicitors in order that they may conduct such an audit.

9. DAS will hold the right to terminate this arrangement if …….. is, for any reason, prevented from practising as a Barrister or any limitation is placed upon his ability to represent you by a regulatory body. In such circumstances, DAS will seek to agree an alternative representative subject to all policy conditions.

10. If, in DAS’ opinion, ……..or you act in any way which is repudiatory in relation to the terms set out above then DAS will be able to terminate the agreement between itself and you immediately, however this will not affect any rights, obligations or liabilities of either party, which have accrued prior to termination or expiry. ……… will also be required to have professional indemnity insurance in place to provide £500,000 worth of indemnity.

11. We will, and expect you to, agree to discuss in good faith any disagreement regarding the ongoing management of your claim. If the dispute cannot be agreed then, provided both parties agree and subject to each party bearing his own costs, the dispute will be referred to mediation. The mediator shall be appointed by the Centre for Dispute Resolution subject to approval by each of the parties and shall be appropriately experienced and qualified in matters relating to insurance.

We trust that the above meets with your agreement and look forward to receiving both signed copies of this letter (one of which will be returned to you endorsed by my signature), confirming your agreement to the requirements outlined above.

DAS reserves its rights generally under the policy.

Miss Carly O’Dwyer
    Claims Department

………………………………. (Miss Carly O’Dwyer on behalf of DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Ltd)

………………………………. (Date)

………………………………... ()

………………………………... (Date)
    NahQsrtjUkFAEv4Q
  • catherine.cordon
    Options
    I have been stymied. For other complainants please continue posting your complaints as I intend to do.

Please send your complainst to the ;Serious Fraud; the email address to send your report is:

Public.Enquiries@sfo.gov.uk.
    Make it for the attention of F Wilson and mention my name

For the Serious Fraud Office to take notice of this we need to be able to convince them that this is happening to many hunbdred/thousands of people and has wide scale impact or the fraud committed is for a high amount of money. I have contatct with many others whose experiences fit those categories. The only way to get noticed is to act collectively.

Catherine Cordon
    01628 667694
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    Whatever your grievances you should not put your personal phone number on a public forum.
  • Jumblebumble
    Options
    Why is anyone surprised by this?
    The insurance company sell this insurance for next to nothing
    They then presumably choose the solicitors on the basis of price
    My view is that one will never get the same outcome as using a solicitor who takes 25%
  • catherine.cordon
    Options
    Dear Complainants, my strong advice is to URGENTLY send your complaints about Das to 'The Serious Fraud Organisation UK'. They have received many already which helps 'everyones' case against Das.

The link with Das is directly connected with the extremely corrupt BLACROCK, who as I type this their offices are being busted by the police for courruption in Germany & Italy - and who allegedly 'control the world' google wikipedia along with their cronies at NFU Municipal Munich etc. Of which George Osbourne MP is a highly paid executive £ 650k +++++++

You can obtain the SFO email address online - mention my name. The FOS and law firms have completely failed me, and from the info on this forum the same has happened to everyone else, same as other forums.

This is a matter of 'Public Interest' For the Serious Fraud Office. To take notice of this we need to be able to convince them that either this is happening to many people, and from the article in The Telegraph/Forums other media it is literally affecting 'hundreds of thousands' and has wide scale impact or the fraud committed is for a high amount of money.

Complaining on these forums helps vent frustration but doesn't achieve alot unless we follow through on the options available. I would never have believed that the same terrible things that have happened to me have also affected so so many others.

OMG 'The collusion's'. I was put in a black hole and isolated by this cartel trying to deal with th e most outrageous blatant corruption against my insured Claims, due to a 'conflict of business interest' by Das and 'other's'. And when I exposed this I was subjected to the most vile detirments with extreme B&H, intimidation and threats' and mind games. You couldn't make it up.
    Be brave stabnd tall and speak out because these parsites feed of our fear together we can stengthen our many causes and issues with these crooks.
    Thanks
    Catherine
    01628 667694
  • catherine.cordon
    Options
    Considering Das never reviewed or concluded my major complaints of corruption/fraud against them through use of level of unprecedented intimidation instead they use ther insignificants at Das to spy on forums and emlist those forums to remove honest reporting and info about them.

I am forming a group please join us contact me on 'zero one six two eight six six seven six nine four ' I an not allowed to send my number

Please continuing posting
    Please Send your complaints to SFO and include FOS (for record purposes because they are useless)
    Please contact the Telegraph they are being veresed by many others
    Please keep going until you get justice against these w
    's

Catherine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business