Do you think my home insurance will cover this claim?

Options
Hi,

Just got back from a family holiday to find that water has seeped through my bedroom ceiling leaving damp patches and a very wet bed and carpet below. Also my laptop which was resting on the corner of the bed has some slight water damage but is still useable though there is some pic distortion in one corner.

I've now discovered that my gutter on the roof has become blocked by a soft drinks can covering up the down pipe hole.

Reason being that both my neighbours have a dormer room with window/balcony access and I think one of them has chucked it into my gutter gully. We had really heavy rain (Devon) apparently whilst we were away and the gutter has simply overflowed into the roof and down through my bedroom ceiling.

The guy on the phone was very quick to explain that I would not be covered if the damage was as a result of non maintenance/ wear and tear but I am unsure if this would be classed under that scenario.

Also, he explained that even if they dont pay the claim it would still be registered as a claim - so my 2nd question is would this likely push up my premiums at renewal next year?

Ive never made a claim on my home insurance in over 15 years (not that that makes a difference to them Im sure but Im not swinging the lead).

Thank you

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but I am unsure if this would be classed under that scenario.

I don't think you have failed in your maintenance duties.
    The operator sounds like they were reading from a script and giving you information they were obliged to.

so my 2nd question is would this likely push up my premiums at renewal next year?

Yes unfortunately claiming means your premiums will be higher.
    That means small claims (below the level of the likely increase) should be avoided, but your claim sounds larger so I'm afraid you have to take that on the chin.

but Im not swinging the lead

I don't think you have anything to fear.
    They were just giving you information that they are obliged to.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Should be a valid claim, the blockage is unexpected and unforseeable.
  • Sellurgranny
    Options
    Thanks lisyloo and zorillo, I hope the assessor sees it the same way!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just playing devils advocate here... insurers may query the laptop damage.

Seems a bit strange (convenient!?!) to have left it on the bed whilst on holiday.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure