Defaulted Credit Card - how bad is a partial repayment for credit rating?

Options
I have a card which is in default and has been for a year. I am currently paying a small amount each month but saving up to pay the amount in full, but am struggling to save up the last few hundred pounds. Considering that I may wish to apply for a mortgage in the next 5 years, how risky is it to agree a partial repayment with the debt collection company? I can't seem to work out if I'm better doing it that way or waiting until I have a bit more money (probably October) and paying the card off in full. I know it'll take 6 years for it go off my record, but how much better would it look to pay it in full?
February No Spend Days Target: 10

Money to pay for 10 weeks of driving lessons: £75/210

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once you've defaulted, any settlement will look better.

You may as well take any offer they give you, as long as you get it in writing that they will not pursue you for the remainder.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    Any kind of default, fully settled or otherwise, on your file is going to give a mortgage lender the jitters. You'd better off waiting until it has dropped from your file before applying.

Personally, I'd go with what is going to save you the most money.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It won't increase your creditworthiness either way, but will demonstrate to lenders that responsibility was taken to sort out the mess accumulated from bad financial decisions.

In this industry, time does heal and provided the debt is cleared, after some time, the harsh effect will fade, even before it falls off. You won't be getting the top mainstream offers anytime soon, but one step at a time is the right attitude to have on this.

Good luck with everything ;)
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure