We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Agapanthus advice

Options
dbrookf
dbrookf Posts: 594 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Just bought an Agapanthus - I know it grows best when the roots are compacted so should I leave it in the pot I bought it in?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As long as it's a decent sized pot that should be fine for this year at least. Or you could transfer it to a similar sized ornamental pot if you don't want to leave it in the plastic one.
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm slightly suspicious of this "grows best when the roots are compacted" story with agapanthus. I planted up some young plants in a container, with plenty of room around them, and they've been gradually increasing in size, flowering happily each year. (Just looked at the RHS guide and that says something similar.) If it's crowded in the pot it will be more difficult to keep it fed and watered. So I'd go for a comfy pot rather than a crowded one!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm slightly suspicious of this "grows best when the roots are compacted" story
    So am I. It's rubbish!
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,178 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mine grow very happily in my borders, all sizes and colours. And they grow like hedging in the wild in New Zealand!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's fair to point out that if potted agapanthus are split and re-potted they may not do very well in the year that happens, especially if done late. I split a very full pot about 6 weeks ago and they've sulked ever since; the leaf ends going brown too. They'll get over it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure