Debt Free By 2019?

onedaysomeday
onedaysomeday Posts: 561 Forumite
Car Insurance Carver! Uniform Washer PPI Party Pooper
edited 19 April 2018 at 10:04AM in Debt free diaries
Well - i attempted one diary and failed at that :rotfl:

Debts are in my signature and have not changed much but trying to juggle repayments with driving lessons and savings for a car - PS first time car insurance judging by quotes - ouch :eek:

The CC has been brought down and back up again as I've paid a chunk and then had to use it again as I used all my disposable to pay the chunk then left nothing for food etc :o however, silly me has only just sussed out the APR is annual and not monthly - that is embarrassing to admit but now I know I can pay a set amount and not use all of my money and then use the card again.

So - car insurance is expensive! Did some test quotes cheapest one around £500 upfront and then £80 a month. £80 a month is fine but £500 - ouch. Had I anticipated that I probably could have saved from the start of my lessons to pay it annually in one go but no one mentioned the extortionate insurance :rotfl:

On the plus side I should have between £500 and £600 for a car by the time I take my test which I didn't want to spend any more than that, so happy just to hopefully hit my target savings.

That's about all for now - just saying hello on this new diary really :j
Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:

Comments

• Nob0dy
    Nob0dy Posts: 20 Forumite
    Insurances charge extortion rates, if you can do without the car for a bit and save to pay in one go it would be way better.

For quotes check every comparison site, takes a few minutes to do a search and in half an hour you can have quotes from at least 3 of them, once you have the best results don't take them for granted, use the link to go to the insurance website and verify the quote on there, then call and talk to an advisor.

It's important to talk to someone as they have the power to give you further discount, I have just recently renewed my insurance and the best quote online was 610, calling I was offered a reduction to 541.

Judging by the amount I suspect you might be a young one, lookup black box insurances, they're a pain the in the !!!! but they can save you money and are an incentive to drive safer.
    Starting Debt: £15,570.06
    Current Debt: £14,169.64
    Target: October 2019
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Done forget if you do insurance online to go through a cash back site.

Good luck with the insurance it sounds very expensive, can you add another driver on to make it cheaper.
  • I've been on so many sites the last few days looking at insurance - believe it or not the quotes have been with my OH with his 16 years driving and 7 years no claims added on to it - maybe a trusty third driver?!

I'm 26 - some of the quotes have been offered with the box but they don't actually seem to be much cheaper. I'm going to start putting some extra money aside where I can, but I'm hoping once I can actually fill in an insurance quote for the car I'll actually be getting and be able to fill in the license number of my full license things may look a little different...

I did not think of going via a cash back site though - thank you!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Re car insurance, Just to say £80 per month is £960 almost double the cost of paying upfront. Putting it on a 0% card is better than paying monthly. On a cheap car you also need to budget for maintenance costs as it is more likely to break down. Car ownership is expensive.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So - car insurance is expensive! Did some test quotes cheapest one around £500 upfront and then £80 a month.

£500 + 12 x £80 = £1460 annually = ouch!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • It was still over £1100 as one annual payment and I definitely cannot get a 0% deal :/
  • Oh to be clear - the quotes were saying £500 for the first instalment and then £80 for the next 10 or 11

I'd definitely be happy paying £500 for the year :p
  • Nob0dy
    Nob0dy Posts: 20 Forumite
    I've been on so many sites the last few days looking at insurance - believe it or not the quotes have been with my OH with his 16 years driving and 7 years no claims added on to it - maybe a trusty third driver?!

I'm 26 - some of the quotes have been offered with the box but they don't actually seem to be much cheaper. I'm going to start putting some extra money aside where I can, but I'm hoping once I can actually fill in an insurance quote for the car I'll actually be getting and be able to fill in the license number of my full license things may look a little different...

I did not think of going via a cash back site though - thank you!

If black box insurances are any cheaper, check the terms and go with it.

In the short term as a young new driver they are more likely to drop the the prices on renewal, if you drive well, whereas regular insurances might take might take longer before they start dropping.

Age is definitely a big factor.
    Starting Debt: £15,570.06
    Current Debt: £14,169.64
    Target: October 2019
  • Definitely something I will look into if it works out much cheaper :D
  • Well today has been an up and down day!

Woke up to the sale of my old laptop on eBay (yaaay) and soon figured out it was a scammer (booo)
    I also have a garmin watch for sale on there that someone was interested in buying if they could arrange some kind of click and collect as they won't be in the country until the 20th so would prefer to pick it up from somewhere like that - I think we have just about come to an arrangement that I can send it in a few days so it arrives just after him as eBay are telling me I don't have enough active listings for click and collect :cool:

On a happy simple straightforward note - my balance on Prolific Academic yesterday morning was £1.70 and now including my pending payments it's over £18 :eek: I seem to have been very fortunate in the last 24 hours and they are all clearing relatively quickly. I only managed £21.00 for the entire month last month!

I spent around a fiver on lunch today as I was sulking about watching everyone else get flowers for Valentine's whilst I'm at work so I needed cake :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure