Deceased grandmother's excessive energy bill - in wrong name, never paid

Options
Hello,

I'm the executor of my grandmother's estate. I'm currently trying to sort out her energy bill from Spark Energy which, due to being in the wrong name since November 2016, hasn't been paid!

The first issue is that the account was changed without her knowledge. From speaking to a Spark representative I have been told that it was changed online - she had never used a computer or the internet, and the account holder name was changed to someone I have never heard of so I assume someone made a mistake years ago which caused this.

The second issue is that her energy usage was incredibly high - her bill came out at £6438.92 for the period of November 2016 to March 2018 - this included nearly $1000 in costs for non-payment and administration fees. I'm struggling to understand how an elderly lady could use so much energy (mostly electricity) when she lived very frugally in a small three bedroom house. She was someone who used hot water bottles and a blanket rather than turning on the heating!

After speaking to Spark I have had the fees for late payment and administration removed, but still have a bill of ~£5500 for energy usage. I'm not happy about paying this as I feel the reported usage is wrong (though the meter reading matches their bills) and even if the usage is somehow correct, I feel like if they hadn't of taken over her energy without permission then her direct debit would still be paying her bill, her pension wouldn't have covered the bill, then we would have noticed and investigated / rectified any energy usage issues years ago, instead of spark profiting from it!

Sorry for the rant, but can anyone provide any advice with respect to customer protection laws and whether Spark should have done more to approach the homeowner? They never sent any demand letters or passed on the debt to a collector - it was just left to grow!

Does anyone have any experience with investigating excessive energy usage?

Not sure what to do next, not getting very far with speaking to Spark representatives...

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/

If the increased usage coincides with the change of supplier that suggests a problem with measurement or increased cost per unit resulting in a much higher price.

Is her estate liable for a bill thats not in her name?
  • Hi deanharris07

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Can you please email me using the email address given in my profile?

I work in Spark's Customer Relations team and I could handle this as a formal complaint for you, if you haven't raised one already.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, as an executor of the estate you have a legal duty to ensure any debts are both valid and accurate.

There is clearly no way, on any tariff, that a bill for in excess of £5,500 for 16 months is valid.

'Pass the buck' back to Spark and submit a formal complaint in writing. You need to know from Spark the previous supplier and the end meter readings for that supplier. Who supplied those readings?

Find out her average consumption with the previous supplier(s) and were there estimated readings.

Bear in mind that a losing supplier will usually block a switch if there are monies outstanding.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm the executor of my grandmother's estate.

the account holder name was changed to someone I have never heard of
    Is her estate liable for a bill thats not in her name?

I would get advice about this - as executor, are you allowed to pay a debt that isn't in your grandmother's name?
  • deanharris07
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Firstly, as an executor of the estate you have a legal duty to ensure any debts are both valid and accurate.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Wasn't sure of my legal standing with respect to dealing with errors on someone else's bill after they had died.

There is clearly no way, on any tariff, that a bill for in excess of £5,500 for 16 months is valid.

I agree! My grandmother kept all her old paperwork so I can see that prior to spark taking over her account her usage was very low. There's a few years of missing paperwork from when spark originally took over her account in a different name, then from November 2016 I have bills in a third also incorrect name and can see the usage being reported had risen dramatically. As she wasn't on direct debit with Spark they charged her a higher tarriff too.

?Isate liable for a bill thats not in her name

Interesting question. I'll have to investigate this further.

I'm currently speaking to Jenny from Spark but if we don't get anywhere I'll raise a formal complaint and take it from there.
  • Hi deanharris07

I'm really glad that we've been able to link in so that I can work on the account.

Just so you know, you do have a formal complaint open with me, and I'll make sure you go through our Complaints process and know your options for escalation if I'm unable to resolve.

I hope to have an update for you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure