Bought a house, alarm came with it.

Options
Harryp_24
Harryp_24 Posts: 172 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 19 April 2017 at 9:25AM in Consumer rights
So i bought a house off an old lady who was basically conned into buying a Rancom burglar alarm system. She has paid it off for 5 years. However when i spoke to them to swap the number of who they ring from hers to mine they declared they needed £200 admin fees to do it....

I cant/wont pay that much money to literally change her name to mine her number to mine and her keyholder to mine in a database.

I was thinking of ringer her up and asking her to change her keyholder to me, so if something happens they will ring her first (she lives 3 doors away) and then me if they cant get through. is this legal?

the alarm is owned by rancom previously known as Direct response who had a BBC Watchdog thingy on them from preying on old and vulnerable people to rip off.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't you get another company to take over the the system, assuming you want to continue having a monitored system?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Harryp_24 wrote: »
    So i bought a house off an old lady who was basically conned into buying a Rancom burglar alarm system. She has paid it off for 5 years. However when i spoke to them to swap the number of who they ring from hers to mine they declared they needed £200 admin fees to do it....

I cant/wont pay that much money to literally change her name to mine her number to mine and her keyholder to mine in a database.

I was thinking of ringer her up and asking her to change her keyholder to me, so if something happens they will ring her first (she lives 3 doors away) and then me if they cant get through. is this legal?

the alarm is owned by rancom previously known as Direct response who had a BBC Watchdog thingy on them from preying on old and vulnerable people to rip off.

I can't see why she would agree to this; it's additional hassle for her with no possible benefit.

She's already been conned by the alarm company; best to leave her alone.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The contract was with her not you. So why do you have to continue paying?

Tell them there is no contract with you so you'll not be paying them anything at all. If they still technically own the system then invite them to come and remove it, but they'll be liable for any damage caused during the removal process.

They'll likely just leave it. So then find another company to take it over?
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    Tell them there is no contract with you so you'll not be paying them anything at all. If they still technically own the system then invite them to come and remove it, but they'll be liable for any damage caused during the removal process.

This is the route i would take, also tell them there will be a £200 admin fee to pay :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure