LonelyRat's (not so lonely) Road to Riches

Options

Comments

• onedaysomeday
    Options
    Well done on the no alcohol! :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 April 2018 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Thank you :o it does feel really good... Just need to hold onto this feeling when I feel like a drink! Quite proud of myself. Woke up about ten minutes ago without an alarm and am feeling fresh as a daisy. Normally, even with just a few glasses of wine, I don't roll out of bed till about 11 (or 12) if I don't have work. It's nice to see the morning and be able to appreciate it. Shocking that this feels like such an achievement :rotfl:

Going to read a chapter of my book in bed then go on my walk.

Have a brilliant day everyone :)
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good for you with the alcohol.My tipple is whiskey ,or occasionally other spiritsand if a bottle was there,I steadily drank it till it was gone. :eek:I decided after my birthday in January to cut down,only drink on social occasions,and not keep alcohol in the house. 24 alcohol free days in Feb,and after DS2 and DD2 s birthday bashes beginning of March I have been AF,if only because no birthdays!:D Then I was told earlier this month about my underactive thyroid. The thyroid is crucial for controlling liver functions,and I dont want to make it work harder that necessary,so I am giving up the booze except on very special occasions. As long as it isnt in the house I am fine.Since Mr Dusty is a teetotaller anyway thats easy. And its amazing how much money I can save. Actually counting up how much you spend on booze can be an eyeopener:D Probably I was spending £30 a month or more.Add in all the cakes biscuits,sweets and coke and no wonder I am amazed at how much I am saving:rotfl::rotfl:
    I'm pretty sure giving up the rubbish will pay for Xmas entirely this year.never mind putting the diabetes in remission. :j:j:j
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    To do:
    1. Sort out freezer
    2. Rejig bedroom furniture
    OH currently in the bed so cannot do any rejigging. This may be a job for tomorrow now depending on when he surfaces.
    3. Hoover
    [STRIKE]4. 10,000 steps[/STRIKE]
    14,000- OH came into the bedroom about 9am having stayed up all night playing computer games so I dragged him out with me :o He said he wasn't that tired when we left the house but by the time we were coming home he was quite grouchy. Feeling achey now but happy nonetheless. OH is snoozing away.
    [STRIKE]5. Lau[/STRIKE]ndry
    Half done. Piles of clothing organised to be washed but OH's dad currently has a load on. Will fire ours in when his is done.
    [STRIKE]6. Read 2 chapters of my book[/STRIKE]
    Done before the walk while eating breakfast - will try and read another chapter tonight before bed.

Just about to make some lunch then will tackle the freezer.

Good to see you again Dusty - I wondered where you had gone. Will go have a nosey at your diary again later on. It is crazy how expensive alcohol is and how it's almost like second nature for me to put a bottle of wine into the shopping basket... Sweets/ crisps have been cut down a lot in the last week or so and it's having a really positive effect on the bank balance. For once I feel like I may actually be able to make my money last me all the way till next payday without having to count the pennies :o Here's hoping anyway!
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in and say hi now I've read your diary through. Sounds like you are making great progress. Congratulations to OH on completing his course.

I often move the furniture around when I get 'itchy' and restless - luckily the OH quite likes it so is easily roped in to shift the big things. My oldest son just looks at us and shakes his head like we are crazy while littlest then runs and starts shifting things around his bedroom to 'help'.

I've subscribed so will be keeping up with your exploits!
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Silver_Queen
    Options
    Hope you had a good day lonelyrat!

Cutting down on alcohol is a great idea. Good for the waistline, good for the bank balance, good for the skin, good for the liver and good for mental health!

You're doing great. Keep it up :)
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Hello Lucifa73 :) Thanks for the kind words, every day is another baby step. I do love having a shuffle around with furniture... It just makes things seem fresh and new, even when they aren't. Love the idea of your youngest helping, sounds so cute!! Will go check out your diary tomorrow when I have more oomph (right now am nodding off at the laptop!)

Thank you Silver Queen was a lovely, but tiring day!
    Cutting down on alcohol is a great idea. Good for the waistline, good for the bank balance, good for the skin, good for the liver and good for mental health!

I really like this - going to refer back to this if I start to slip.

To do:
    1. Sort out freezer
    In the process of being sorted - have unplugged and put towels down. Will leave it overnight and see where we stand in the morning.
    2. Rejig bedroom furniture
    Will do tomorrow with OH's help. Also want to change bedding.
    [STRIKE]3. Hoover
    [/STRIKE]Will give another once over tomorrow when moving the room about.
    [STRIKE]4. 10,000 steps
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]5. Laundry
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]6. Read 2 chapters of my book[/STRIKE]

I gave the room a very deep clean so feeling happy although very, very tired. Was going to go check in on diaries but will do this tomorrow now as I can't stay up much longer. Proud of another evening alcohol free :o
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    No rejigging had been done yet. OH didn't come to bed until 7.45 this morning :eek: His sleeping pattern is totally ruined... He had fun playing computer games again though so I guess it's good for him to blow off some steam after the stress of dissertation/ assignments. He was drinking last night so when he came to bed he was talking mince, was pretty funny.

Tonight he is spending time with me though :o We're going to watch the new episode of Westworld and there's another show he wants to watch called 'The Terror'. It's based upon a book but also real life events from the 1800's. Looks quite good but also creepy.

Today has been unproductive so far. Read a chapter of my book in bed then walked to the post box to post my Dad a birthday card. It's his birthday today but I kept forgetting to post the card :( I did Whatsapp him saying happy birthday so hopefully when he sees it he'll want to chat.

Was planning on a walk when posting the card but it started to rain quite heavily so came home and have just been waiting for the weather to clear. Blue skies seem to be on the horizon so I'm going to go out soon.

Not much news with the freezer.... Still very icy so when I get back from my walk I'm going to start chipping away at some of it. I also read putting a bowl of hot water in may help so might try that.

112 days
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Men and games are so odd! I do it occasionally stay up late but the last two nights I've had to drag OH to bed at gone 1am because we have to be up at 5:45 :rotfl:

Hope the shows are good & hope your dad has a lovely birthday :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • lonelyrat
    Options
    Walk was lovely, went to see the rat tree. 6,115 steps, not quuuuuiiiite as many as I was aiming for, but it's better than nothing :rotfl: My achilles feel really tight after the walk yesterday and haven't improved today so am going to do some research and see what helps. Could just be my poor tootsies aren't actually used to walking more than to and from the train station.

Freezer still defrosting, chipped away at the ice on the top drawer as much as possible with a spoon but there's still quite a way to go.

Just had a cold shower and now munching some yoghurt and granola. OH still sleeping so think I'll give him till 3 then wake him up.

Onedaysomeday they are aren't they? He's currently playing Sea of Thieves and loving it... I think this could be why he wants to watch The Terror (cos there's a boat involved)! I'm guilty of staying up late far too much so am really making a conscious effort to turn it around.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport