Zero waste, plastic-free, MoneySaving Christmas

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Good thread Andrea!

I read Zero waste home by Bea Johnson a while back and check out hers and others blogs. The American ones are not always as relevant, but overall there is a lot to pick up from them. The hardest thing is the time things take - I work 55 hours, add 15 hours commute and you can forget Mon - Friday for creating your own stuff.

It seems that around 90-95% of plastics in oceans come from ten rivers in Africa and Asia ( no idea if that percentage has always been the same), however it does mean that the UK must do reasonable well. I also see that Gove is pressing for part of the aid budget to go to the countries where some of those rivers are to support antipollution measures.

I love soap - never understand why people won't use it . It lasts forever and the packaging is so much less.

Thank you!

I've heard about her book from Rachelle Strauss's Zero Waste facebook group (I think) but I haven't got it yet.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Interesting.

I'm not sure I'm convinced but I'll certainly take the view on board and think about it :)

Once you start looking at total life costs, it gets quite complicated. Pre getting rid of plastic bags, I read a discussion about how much more environmentally unfriendly paper bags were to produce over plastic carrier bags and then add in that paper bags take up far more space on a trailer. I can't remember how many trailers it said it took to move say a million paper/plastic bags, but it was a very big difference.

It's complicated when you take in the full life cycle of any product!
    Thank you!

I've heard about her book from Rachelle Strauss's Zero Waste facebook group (I think) but I haven't got it yet.

She's hardcore! Your family might draw the line at giving up loo paper for washable rags..... I would!:o
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting.

I'm not sure I'm convinced but I'll certainly take the view on board and think about it :)

I'm thinking a lot of people are spending a lot of effort trying to avoid plastics, and the environmental benefits are questionable. In many cases replacing plastics with glass, paper and metal will increase resource and energy consumption, creating a greater environmental impact - which is not the intention at all.

A big concern for people is plastic in the sea - but do the plastics we use here in the UK contribute to this? If not, us avoiding them isn't going to address this problem. The actual source of ocean plastic appears to be almost entirely third world and developing countries:

https://www.treehugger.com/ocean-conservation/these-10-rivers-appear-be-source-millions-tons-ocean-plastic.html

Not to say we shouldn't be careful here, I do bag everything tightly to keep it together and give it some weight, so it doesn't blow out the bin or on it's way to the power station. However, once it leaves my house, I live in a country with a good rubbish disposal infrastructure and believe the chances my bagged rubbish not safely reaching the power station are very low.

I just don't think there's much grounds for people in Europe or other developed countries to replace plastics with other materials. The net outcome, considering they're more energy and resource intensive, is likely to be more harmful than beneficial. I'm not saying buy plastics without any cares, but they have their place as functional, minimally resource intensive materials when needed, and we can dispose of them quite safely here.
    Once you start looking at total life costs, it gets quite complicated. Pre getting rid of plastic bags, I read a discussion about how much more environmentally unfriendly paper bags were to produce over plastic carrier bags and then add in that paper bags take up far more space on a trailer. I can't remember how many trailers it said it took to move say a million paper/plastic bags, but it was a very big difference.

It's complicated when you take in the full life cycle of any product!

It has been studied though!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/291023/scho0711buan-e-e.pdf

It's a big report, but what I take away from it in summary is that single use, disposable plastic bags are pretty efficient when used once. All other types only reduce resource use below single use plastic bags when reused a number of times. How many times varies, but interestingly, the cotton bag - something many people consider greenest, needs the most reuse. It has to be reused between 131 to 393 times just to break even with regular plastic bags. 131 single use bags are equivalent to one cotton bag, and if you reuse those plastic bags just once for bin liners, things get even worse for the cotton bag.

Certain eco-assumptions, like plastics are bad and natural materials are best can lead people to bad choices. Reusable can be good, but natural materials are often not as green as they look. We easily overlook how much resources go in to making them. Cotton is natural, but the process to grow and manufacture it takes a lot of steps and resources. Reusable plastic bags however don't need many reuses to start saving resources compared to disposable. It's the same efficient material, just stronger and much longer lasting. So, my shopping bags are reusable plastic. Cotton is better saved for clothing I think.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ben

Good and interesting posts!

What I meant when I said it's complicated, is that for the average person to make an informed choice, they have to be motivated enough to actually consider the differences and factor in the manufacturing and transport.

I'm with you to some degree on plastics not being totally evil, though I think that if we could just get rid of the 'need' for our apples to come in trays and satsumas in nets along with any number of other throw away items, would be a good start.

Alert - ewww factor in the next paragraph!

I still use around three plastic carrier bags a day - 3 dogs ( one quite large) and use the bags for the obvious along with kitchen towel. I really hate the hot from the oven feel with standard poo bags and one bag means all donations from the three dogs go in one bag on a walk, rather than three bags.

BTW, I live half a mile from a TPS.
  • Ben84
    Options
    Hi Ben

Good and interesting posts!

What I meant when I said it's complicated, is that for the average person to make an informed choice, they have to be motivated enough to actually consider the differences and factor in the manufacturing and transport.

I'm with you to some degree on plastics not being totally evil, though I think that if we could just get rid of the 'need' for our apples to come in trays and satsumas in nets along with any number of other throw away items, would be a good start.

I still use around three plastic carrier bags a day - 3 dogs ( one quite large) and use the bags for the obvious along with kitchen towel. I really hate the hot from the oven feel with standard poo bags and one bag means all donations from the three dogs go in one bag on a walk, rather than three bags.

Hi bugslet

Ah, yes, I see now, it's a bit of work to delve in to the details. I didn't really realise the disparity between the energy use of plastics vs. other common alternative materials until I worked a little with plastics. Full disclosure - I'm not in the plastics industry and don't have a financial anything to do with them :rotfl:. I did briefly work with them some years ago and was impressed with how much work a small amount of materials and energy could achieve when using them. Poor disposal however is a problem. I'm just not convinced we should mass abandon them and their strong benefits to address this when disposal is the point when things go wrong - and it appears that poor disposal isn't commonplace here.

Well, my fruit and vegetables from the market are overall much less packaging intensive than supermarkets. Many things, like apples and potatoes are reasonably durable, so they come to market in large card boxes rather than individual packaging - and I put them in my reusable bag, so their total packaging use is minimal. Markets are a different situation to supermarkets however. At the supermarket they want to shelve things quickly, and densely. Packaging helps. They also want to identify things fast and scan it fast, so bar coded packaging helps. Also, in cases where there's multiple types of similar items at different prices, for example different varieties of apples, packaging makes it possible to consistently tell which is which. It has a purpose, but if we want to avoid it, markets and greengrocers are better. I would imagine a lot of food bought in the UK now comes through supermarkets however.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 13 December 2017 at 12:49PM
    Options

She's hardcore! Your family might draw the line at giving up loo paper for washable rags..... I would!:o

Can't believe I'm about to admit this on the internet, let alone on a site I work for and my colleagues might read this but here goes...

My family might... I haven't... :cool:

Just for use at home obviously (and only for wee) but every little bit makes a difference...

Edited to add, as mentioned in the post above about plastics, I have wondered if the object of this is defeated by using "additional" detergent to wash the washable "loo paper" (they look like little flannels).

Join the MSE Forum
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options

I totally understand this. I still need plastic bags to put cat litter in when I bin it. I haven't found/thought of an alternative yet (the cat litter is on newspaper or paper left from packing our breakables when we moved house).

I'm happy to hear suggestions to cut out those plastic bags. I'm not sure what else I could use that the bin men would be happy with.

I've toyed with the idea of using wood pellet litter, filtering out the cat poo into the toilet and composting the pellets but I think you're not supposed to put cat wee on your compost? If that's changed and it's considered fine to do I'll give it a go.

Join the MSE Forum
  • Ben84
    Options
    Edited to add, as mentioned in the post above about plastics, I have wondered if the object of this is defeated by using "additional" detergent to wash the washable "loo paper" (they look like little flannels).

Well, I had a look around and found this:

http://europeantissue.com/wp-content/uploads/ETS-Carbon-Footprint-Position-Paper-May-2013.pdf

They estimate that the toilet paper for an average person in Europe produces about 6 Kg a year of CO2. So we're not dealing with a particularly huge number here, and energy use for washing and detergent production could exceed it. My washing machine uses about 1 kWh for a 60 degree cycle - although I would likely use a 90 for toilet wipes with higher energy use. But even at this lower 60 degree figure, it wouldn't be many cycles before I exceed the toilet paper's CO2. The national grid's CO2 emissions per kWh vary from moment to moment, but last year averaged 305 g CO2.

http://www.mygridgb.co.uk/2016-vs-2017/

To be fair, that figure is including low numbers from the middle of the night when the grid is supplied with lots of nuclear power and almost nobody will be doing washing, but I'm going to go with 305g anyway.

So, that's about twenty cycles in my washing machine - and that's only accounting for the electric it draws from the power grid, I haven't taken in to account the energy to make the detergent.

Unfortunately, even with these generous calculations that assume low figures for the washing machine's energy use, the power grid's CO2 at times you're likely to be doing the washing, and forget the detergent entirely, washable toilet wipes look worse for the environment.

I have cut down on paper use in other ways. Sending all the junk mail back with "unknown at this address" on it has pretty much eliminated that problem, and I've been saving spare paper like envelopes and things with blank sides to take notes on. I also, when I needed a new printer bought a duplex printer.
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    UK plan to tackle plastic waste threat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42397399

A four-point plan for tackling plastic waste has been outlined by the Environment Secretary Michael Gove.
  • Ben84
    edited 19 December 2017 at 11:25PM
    Options
    SamsReturn wrote: »
    UK plan to tackle plastic waste threat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42397399

A four-point plan for tackling plastic waste has been outlined by the Environment Secretary Michael Gove.

This is all a self-made problem. We could have been turning unwanted plastic in to electricity and heat for years, but have focused on trying to turn it in to new consumer goods - despite the generally poor quality of recycled plastic goods and the low cost of new plastic. Household waste management has become this awkward attempt at a planned economy in the middle of capitalism, and it seems to need a lot of shoring up from moment to moment.

As far as I can see, good money has been poured after bad for years now in pursuit of this recycling ideal, and I find evidence of any environmental benefits realised dubious at best. All these years we've been burning fossil fuels in power stations 24/7, 365 days a year, why not replace some of it with plastic? It is basically a fossil fuel, and we already have it. Coal, a bulky, energy intensive to move about material has been bought and imported to the UK from abroad for years now, and all the while we've been paying to ship plastics, a very comparable material out of the uk. Even more absurd since plastics burn cleaner than coal.

I believe the day when we burn little or no fossil fuels is coming (well, I hope it is!), and when that comes burning plastics for energy may look a lot less attractive. But that's not our reality today, and hasn't been through all these years of expensive recycling programmes, and shipping out plastic and shipping in fossil fuels all this time has I believe hurt the environment more than just burning them as fuel here would have. I'm not against trying to do better, but I'm also a realist. If the numbers don't add up and keep not adding up, something is wrong.

Personally, I wish the government would package the disposal costs for consumer items in to their purchase price. A good fraction of my council tax bill goes on waste collection, but I hardly throw anything away and could get by with a bin collection every few months - and I don't even use the recycling bin. Unmetered waste disposal is working about as well as unmetered electric would - everything is overloaded, and nobody has any control over their own bill. The majority keep using more and more and everyone's bills keep going up. I think the majority of people will not stop making huge quantities of waste, and manufacturers will not stop or reduce making products that generate it, until people start to tangibly feel the actual cost of it and have control over how much they're paying.

For similar reasons, I was very happy when we could finally get a water meter and have some control over the bill. We've reduced water use since it was installed by about 1/4th.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure