local "tick" card - is the debt enforceable?

Options
My local off licence runs a tick scheme where he gives you a electronic card that you can use in their shop to buy things and pay 30 days later. you get an email with an invoice of what is owed and when by.

i forgot to pay last months invoice due on 9th for £137 and the payments system wont let me so i went in the shop. the shopkeeper got someone on the phone i think it was the shop owner and he was quite rude and hostile. said to come back with the money in cash and that he has all my address and details - which i saw as quite intimidating.

A friend of mine said i didnt sign anything under credit act or something therefore the debt isnt enforceable by law. After the way i was treated he said i shouldn't bother paying them in cash and demand to pay securely through the normal internet site.

Im scared that if i don't pay it how they want me to then he might send collections people after me or make threats against me so want to check here if this type of debt is enforceable and whether i virtually agreed to credit when i started using their electronic tick card?

thanks in advance

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just pay them in any reasonable way they want paying, ensure you have a verifiable record and don't use them again.
    'legally enforceable'? what pish. You either owe the debt or you don't.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just pay it and keep your self respect. Double win.
  • Brigidir
    Brigidir Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    if it isnt legally enforceable why should i? thats what i wanted you to answer. if there was no contract signed under consumer credit act what legal powers do they have to catch the debt?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Brigidir wrote: »
    if it isnt legally enforceable why should i?

Decency?
    Honesty?
    Self respect?
    Because you owe the money?
    Because you're stealing their income?
  • Brigidir
    Options
    Decency?
    Honesty?
    Self respect?
    Because you owe the money?
    Because you're stealing their income?

and you would pay it back in my case - even if they spoke to you like that and the debt wasnt even contractual??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes.

What an extraordinary question.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just pay what you owe
  • Brigidir
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Does he have a licence to operate/offer credit? Ask him that it might shut him up if the truth is no.

i've googled the software he uses for the electronic cards and its basically just a balance thingy to store info about purchases and balances. i didn't sign any credit agreement and he hands them out to under 18s as well which is wrong because the parents get phoned up as one told me. who would do that on a licence?

i dont care what the goody-two-shoes say above. i know if the shoe was on the other foot and they were spoken to badly they wouldnt bother paying and not go back to the shop.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brigidir wrote: »
    and you would pay it back in my case - even if they spoke to you like that and the debt wasnt even contractual??

If you lent someone £137 and they refused to pay it back because you didn't get them to sign anything and you were a bit rude to them, would you feel that was fair and just?
  • Brigidir
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    If you lent someone £137 and they refused to pay it back because you didn't get them to sign anything and you were a bit rude to them, would you feel that was fair and just?

i would. it wasnt a bit rude. he was pure arrogant and nasty about it. changed payment terms simply because i was 12 hours late with paying online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure