Universal Credit for Couples

Options
After racking my brain on good ol google for past few hours can someone please explain to me exactly what this mean?

Conditionality Earnings Threshold (CET)
Administrative Earnings Threshold (AET)

From what I've read is if your a couple and earning more than £541 net a month regardless of how many hours you work than you are eligible to UC, is this right?

So our circumstances in the very near future are likely to be this

either

Me working 26 hours a week annual income £14810
or working 18 hours a week annual income £10250
Wife not working
4 kids under 16

both of the scenarios makes our household income above the £541 threshold, so does this mean my wife wont get pressured into work and most importantly would we be entitled to UC when is comes around?

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 6:33AM
    Options
    It won't UC with 4 kids under 16 at the moment, as UC only caters for 2 children for a new claim.

Migration of legacy benefits will start sometime during 2019 and details of how this will work for people on tax credits will be known nearer the time. Managed migration by DWP comes with a 2 year guarantee that people won't be worse off if their circumstances remain the same.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What I'm asking is once we are moved over in the next couple of years and the migration protection has ended would we still be entitled to UC and is our household income above the threshold?
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    It may be as late as 2022 that you are moved to UC. Your income has to be under a threshold not over one, even those with zero earnings get UC.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What I'm asking is once we are moved over in the next couple of years and the migration protection has ended would we still be entitled to UC and is our household income above the threshold?

Your question is asking about future DWP policy i.e what might happen in say 3 or 4 years time.

I don't think anyone can answer that, as Government might change the earnings amounts that are considered for UC award calculation.

And it is not as simple as that, because it depends on how many different entitlements someone has. For example a household might have housing rent costs, children, adults/children with disabilities, carers element where a disabled person is looked after.

If you are looking ahead and want a general idea based on current UC rates, thresholds etc, then sign up to a benefits calculator such as Entitledto or Turn2us and have a play around with earnings information.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What happened to you working 37 hours?
  • skcollobcat10
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    What happened to you working 37 hours?

Some just want to work as few hours as possible? I am amazed a man with 4 little ones would do this but there might be a good reason for it.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    Your question is asking about future DWP policy i.e what might happen in say 3 or 4 years time.

I don't think anyone can answer that, as Government might change the earnings amounts that are considered for UC award calculation.

And it is not as simple as that, because it depends on how many different entitlements someone has. For example a household might have housing rent costs, children, adults/children with disabilities, carers element where a disabled person is looked after.

If you are looking ahead and want a general idea based on current UC rates, thresholds etc, then sign up to a benefits calculator such as Entitledto or Turn2us and have a play around with earnings information.

Thanks for this.

Assuming where is stands currently if we on UC right now with me earning £14k a year would we be entitled?
  • rjw273
    rjw273 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I asked a similar question a while ago.

Very hard to get a clear answer as to whether a currently unemployed partner would need to work or not if you are over the £541 AET as a couple. From what i've read online about it, i get the impression they'd be put in a "light-touch" group which in reality would mean they wouldn't have to start work. It seems to be a grey area though and i'm worried if your work coach was being over-strict, they might interpret the rules differently.
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    Over £541 as a couple currently mean both are in light touch. They do not have a work coach.

This could of course change in the future as people in light touch can be mandated to attend appointments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure