Electric usage has quadrupled, what to do?

Options

Comments

• BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2018 at 8:49AM
    Options
    I'm completely confused by this thread now. I thought we were talking about electricity use, but the figures posted on the previous page were for gas? Surely that drop in the number for May last year should have rung alarm bells with them - they don't go backwards and that might suggest to them that you'd tampered with the equipment, so you'd think they'd be on to that smartish - if that figure was correct and not just typed wrong. And there was a mention of the spend for dual fuels? Presumably from the same supplier but metered separately?

I don't have a smart meter - just an old fashioned one with a disc that spins - if you have a smart meter, does it replace your old meter completely, so that it's now the only one you have? Doesn't a smart meter report directly to your supplier supposedly to avoid the need to take and submit your own readings or them call round to do it periodically? Is that why you're waiting for them to come back to you with the readings they've recorded? I'm not sure how it works.

Can you not log in to your energy account and see what the readings were against your bill at whatever intervals they record them for billing purposes?

Have you tried the exercise of turning everything off and checking the meter yet? I don't think turning the juice off at the CU will necessarily help (might try it as plan B depending on what the first test indicates), as it will also turn off what might potentially be the high-use culprit you need to identify. You need to turn things off at the wall/switch (including things like TVs on standby, DVD players, digital clocks etc.) and see what the meter displays. Leave your fridge/freezer on if you can't reach the plugs (I can't either), but the energy usage during the test period should then reflect what you'd expect just to be used by those appliances.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    that drop in the number for May last year should have rung alarm bells with them - they don't go backwards and that might suggest to them that you'd tampered with the equipment, so you'd think they'd be on to that smartish - if that figure was correct and not just typed wrong.

Hence my earlier question - here is a reading which is apparently blatantly wrong, would be rejected by the computer but is verified by the supplier ? That cannot be right.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • BooJewels
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Hence my earlier question - here is a reading which is apparently blatantly wrong, would be rejected by the computer but is verified by the supplier ? That cannot be right.
    My assumption would have been - as recipient of the email - that it was a typo, so I would have replied, querying that series of numbers.

But the OP said she also got a decent refund at that time, suggesting that the low May 17 reading was actually used by them for billing - seemingly adding to the current deficit - assuming that it's dual fuel with the same supplier? So there's something peculiar going on.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not even clear as to whether those figures were meter readings or usage in kwh! It is somewhat confusing. Maybe my brain cell needs charging. :think:
  • BooJewels
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I'm not even clear as to whether those figures were meter readings or usage in kwh! It is somewhat confusing. Maybe my brain cell needs charging. :think:
    Mine too - I'm also getting progressively confused.

The numbers on page 2 were actually gas readings - but I think the OP has dual fuel with the same supplier, so wonky gas readings historically might also be suggestive of something awry/inconsistent with electricity readings too. If I'm understanding it correctly, the low gas reading last May generated a substantial refund (£200+), possibly contributing to the deficit on the combined fuel account now.

I think the OP needs to clarify some of these details in order to get the best possible help.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The meter reading on the 31/05/17 does not make sense. If we talking cub metres here, then usage from Feb 17 to Feb 18 equals about 9400kWhs which is by no means high.
    Robin9 wrote: »
    BooJewels wrote: »
    Mine too - I'm also getting progressively confused.

The numbers on page 2 were actually gas readings - but I think the OP has dual fuel with the same supplier, so wonky gas readings historically might also be suggestive of something awry/inconsistent with electricity readings too. If I'm understanding it correctly, the low gas reading last May generated a substantial refund (£200+), possibly contributing to the deficit on the combined fuel account now.

I think the OP needs to clarify some of these details in order to get the best possible help.

Clarification definitely required since, as pointed out, gas readings cannot go down: Are they meter readings or usage in kwh? If readings, the May 2017 one is lower than the Feb 2017 one and it appears this has not been addressed by the supplier. No wonder the billing is all over the place. Unless there is something we have not been told, I would be very tempted to put this back in the supplier's court and ask them how such a glaringly obvious error has occurred. Monthly readings (at least monthly) definitely the way to go. Sorry to sound like a broken record.
  • Kayleighb1
    Options
    Yes am on an iPad

Ok this thread was originally about electric as that is what has been identified by edf as an unusually high usage, to the extent that they refused to accept the meter readings, both their own and from me.

To explain a bit.

I have an eon smart meter.

Edf struggle to read this. As do I.

Last year they read it incorrectly for gas - and when asking me to check the reading, gave me those same incorrect instructions (so basically the wrong number was read) This lead to a reading which had been lower than my previous reading, which lead to an incorrect credit on the account and a reduction in my direct debit.

Nothing that can be done about this I just have to suck the error up. I have no idea why it didn’t flag up at the time.

As for electric they have said there are no problem with the readings but they have offered to take the meter away to test. I am waiting to see if there is a charge.

There is something very weird about the way they manage it though.

Their meter reader gave a reading of 11000 (circa) for electric which they rejected, they then asked me for one. I rang up and asked for instructions and they took the reading on the phone (11213). They refused to take this reading saying it was too high, asked me to cycle through the different numbers on the meter and then took one which ‘sounded correct’. Bonkers.

I have of course insisted they record the correct reading. But no wonder bill problems are happening if they don’t take the correct ones.

My meter readings are in KWH. For electric anyway. Gas it just says ‘volume’ and then a 4 figure number.

Sorry I know it’s confusing, I am really confused! BooJewels has the details right.
  • Kayleighb1
    Options
    I am currently on holiday for 48 hours and I have turned off every single plug I could get to and I took a photo of the meter before I left.

Now I know how to take the readings (cop out I know) I will be doing them monthly, and swapping to another provider as soon as I am out of term with edf.
  • Kayleighb1
    Kayleighb1 Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2018 at 12:05PM
    Options
    Regardless of the error and whose fault that was, I do owe that gas money.

Cant be helped. I want the electric use investigated though as it really is high.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kayleighb1 wrote: »
    I am currently on holiday for 48 hours and I have turned off every single plug I could get to and I took a photo of the meter before I left.

Now I know how to take the readings (cop out I know) I will be doing them monthly, and swapping to another provider as soon as I am out of term with edf.

Switch to a supplier like Bulb who will pay your exit fees. Wait 10 days after transfer and then switch to the supplier of your choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure