60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Don't give the litigious lycra brigade any ideas, they'll be suing the council next for not removing the leaves from or gritting cycle paths.

Sounds like you are some sort of racist?

I.E. You enjoy bullying minorities?

Tell me I'm wrong?
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »

Tell me I'm wrong?

He is prejudiced against cyclists, there's little doubt.

But he's not a bully to be feared. Because his inane anti cycling rants are so easy to pull apart, his presence in a cycling thread is actually helpful. :)
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »

Tell me I'm wrong?

Yes you are wrong!

You don't become a minority group or an 'out group' just because you jump on a push bike.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Waiting for Altarf to suggest cars should be prohibited from roads now.

Potholes - Not intended to be there, so need to be removed to make the road safe for all users.

Tram lines - Intended to be there, so cannot be removed to make the road safe for all users, so solution is to remove the users it is not safe for.

Or doesn't that make sense in the strange world of cyclist victims.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2015 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Potholes - Not intended to be there, so need to be removed to make the road safe for all users.

Tram lines - Intended to be there, so cannot be removed to make the road safe for all users, so solution is to remove the users it is not safe for.
    Wouldn't it be more reasonable given how many people cycle, to either move the cycle lane, or remove it altogether? That way the council aren't liable, and they'll have more money to spare for all the motorist pothole claims, rather than cyclist injuries.
    Or doesn't that make sense in the strange world of cyclist victims.
    I imagine your suggesting to ban all cyclists from that part of the road wouldn't make sense to anyone who has the ability to think reasonably and rationally.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Altarf
    Options
    Wouldn't it be more reasonable given how many people cycle, to either move the cycle lane, or remove it altogether? That way the council aren't liable, and they'll have more money to spare for all the motorist pothole claims, rather than cyclist injuries.

Correct, move the cycle lanes to the non-tram streets, and ban the cyclists from the tram streets.

Problem solved.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Correct, move the cycle lanes to the non-tram streets, and ban the cyclists from the tram streets.

Problem solved.

If they remove the cycle lane from the tram section and leave it at that, the council then wouldn't be liable because they're not actively encouraging cyclists to use that lane. It would be left up to the cyclist to decide what lane they want to use and then they would become liable for their own injuries.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Altarf
    Options
    If they remove the cycle lane from the tram section and leave it at that, the council then wouldn't be liable because they're not actively encouraging cyclists to use that lane. It would be left up to the cyclist to decide what lane they want to use and then they would become liable for their own injuries.

That is not enough.

Cyclists don't have to have take any tests before they cycle on the road, and they don't have to be over a minimum age, so children are permitted to cycle.

How are these untrained children to know that cycling near an unmarked tram track is dangerous? They will not.

So the council will need to actively mark these areas as dangerous to cyclists to protect the untrained and young.

If that marking is not sufficiently unambiguous then the untrained and young may still cycle there, have an accident, and sue the council.

As it would not be possible to only let cyclists with sufficient skill and knowledge cycle on roads with tram lines, the only practical solution is to ban all cyclists from those streets.

You may want to take risks, but you must think of the children.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    T

As it would not be possible to only let cyclists with sufficient skill and knowledge cycle on roads with tram lines, the only practical solution is to ban all cyclists from those streets.

You may want to take risks, but you must think of the children.

Or key in cyclists when designing roads and public transport networks?

Crazy stuff......
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Or key in cyclists when designing roads and public transport networks?

Crazy stuff......

The new kid on the block is the tram, so the onus is on them to resolve the problem to the satisfaction of all users in line with the long term planning directives for the city centre.

Whatever happened with the congestion charging plans Custardy?
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure