Unexpected ccj

Options
Hi to all can I ask advice please?
So I checked my credit file today and while flicking through found a ccj added a couple days ago ,now this is first of knowing about this . I done some checking and managed to find out ccj in old address and as Sunday couldn’t phone to get more info but will do Monday but in meantime is it right that I would struggle to have set aside even with not knowing about this ccj ? I have had no letters etc and did move about a year and half ago I am on electoral roll etc and if anyone was actually looking for me I’m sure they would have found me. Also the people that moved in to old house are known to friends of ours so would assume they would have said something and if that not enough we had a Royal Mail postal redirect in place from when we left for a year so surely the letters etc would have been sent over a period of time . So unsure what to do now i am just not sure from where last problem I had was years ago thanks in advance

Comments

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi to all can I ask advice please?
    So I checked my credit file today and while flicking through found a ccj added a couple days ago ,now this is first of knowing about this . I done some checking and managed to find out ccj in old address and as Sunday couldn’t phone to get more info but will do Monday but in meantime is it right that I would struggle to have set aside even with not knowing about this ccj ? I have had no letters etc and did move about a year and half ago I am on electoral roll etc and if anyone was actually looking for me I’m sure they would have found me. Also the people that moved in to old house are known to friends of ours so would assume they would have said something and if that not enough we had a Royal Mail postal redirect in place from when we left for a year so surely the letters etc would have been sent over a period of time . So unsure what to do now i am just not sure from where last problem I had was years ago thanks in advance
    Phone them on Monday.

Whoever has issued the CCJ, it's not their responsibility to go trawling through the electoral roll to find someone. They just send the stuff out to the address on their file.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You need to notify any creditors when you move.

It’s not their job to hunt you down - they will issue paperwork to the last known address they have for you.

You need to find out what the CCj was for before looking at a set-aside etc.
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Do you owe anyone any money that you know of?

As others have said, people and companies do not need to hunt you down for a CCJ, they can serve papers to your last known address.

Is this genuinely a mystery or do you know who you owe money to?
  • brianfaescotland
    Options
    thanks for replies but it seems that people think I was aware people such as debt agencies looking for me as said and as title unexpected as in no idea and no idea anyone looking for me and I would assume having a redirect on for 12 months after moving if someone had issues with me I would have heard something during the 12 months but thanks for replying
  • brianfaescotland
    Options
    it is a mystery guess have to wait till i call on monday but just find it hard to believe if there was a debt why no contact in 15 months having moved and 12 of them with post office redirect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That still can’t be used as an excuse for for not receiving notifications
  • brianfaescotland
    Options
    so what you saying is that even not knowing of any debt or anyone looking for me they can send this to my old address maybe knowing i am not there assuming if I was due something to someone that they would first try to locate me that makes no sense that's like me saying you are due me £100 then claiming through court for it and getting as ccj against you as I sent the complaint to some one else knowing you wont get it and thus winning the ccj
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which court issued the CCJ? What amount? Very often unpaid parking charges.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    so what you saying is that even not knowing of any debt or anyone looking for me they can send this to my old address maybe knowing i am not there assuming if I was due something to someone that they would first try to locate me that makes no sense that's like me saying you are due me £100 then claiming through court for it and getting as ccj against you as I sent the complaint to some one else knowing you wont get it and thus winning the ccj

The system is far from perfect, as a creditor only has to send papers to your last known address on record, some debt purchasing companies are renound for obtaining judgements in default using this loophole, it is currently under review by the government.

To successfully obtain a set aside, there are various standard reasons why it may be granted, these include non recipt of court papers, etc, but you must have a defense with a reasonable chance of success as well, you really need legal advice, we have "Just Di" on this forum, who is a specilist solicitor, she may pick this up.

Further info here :

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part13#13.2
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2019 at 6:00PM
    Options
    If I understand some of the posts from Just Di, sending the CCJ paperwork to an old address does not necessarily mean that there can't be a successful set aside. I believe one of the questions Di typically asks is, did you update the ER when you moved address?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family