Aviva, Direct Line vs Cheaper

Options
I’m currently with Aviva and have been for a few years. The only thing I can really comment on is their app which is nice but as I haven’t made a claim or anything, so don’t even know if their CS is good.

I checked with Direct Line and their pricing is pretty much the same for the same level of cover.

I also checked Tesco and they are considerably cheaper even with some extras added on.

My question is, in people’s experiences, is it best to just go with the cheapest quote or is that a false economy when or if it comes to making a claim? Assuming the level of cover is pretty much the same.

The one thing that is attracting me to DL is that they seem to have some perks in terms of getting hit when parked and other bits and bobs that don’t affect your NCB.

Comments

• MoneySaver123
    Options
    I’m talking about car insurance by the way. Should’ve made that clear, sorry!
  • barnaclebill
    Options
    I am also with Aviva and they have been cheapest for me for the last three years, just had my new quote and it is up a little but checking in other sites it is still just the cheapest for me.
    If I had found one with cheaper cost for same cover I would have asked them to price match, Aviva came joint 11th in this months Which and Tesco Joint 16th if that's any help.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been with either Aviva or Directline for the last 10 years for all my insurance policies. I've always found both to be exceptional for claims handling and CS.

Definitely spend the extra and go with a decent insurer. (Not saying Tesco aren't decent, just no experience with them and don't know who underwrites them)

Budget insurers can be a nightmare if you need to claim so don't go with the cheapest quote unless you're absolutely certain they're reputable.
  • MoneySaver123
    Options
    Thanks guys!

@barnaclebill Do you know who came in the top 3 Which list?

I think I’ll go with Aviva again. They’ve now introduced Aviva Plus which means it’s even cheaper!
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Get quotes on line including over 50's if appropriate,find a cheaper one contact your existing company and see if they will price match.Tesco did for me they apparently use different companies and saved £5.50 a month £66 a year for a phone call on their first renewal quote.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure