Any experience with adverse credit history and obtaining a mortgage with Barclays

Options
MsGeorge88
MsGeorge88 Posts: 54 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 14 June 2019 at 2:53PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hiya,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has managed to obtain a Help to buy mortgage with Barclays who have had adverse credit in the past.

I would also like to hear from those who weren't successful, and what credit issues you've had.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• GavL
    GavL Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I would assume this will depend on how adverse you mean?

I have just received an offer from Barclays with an old default (dropping off next month - sub £100) so MA wasn't concerned over it.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Not to be rude, but other peoples experiences does not mean a great deal.
    You could have 2 almost identical cases on the face of it but get 2 very different outcomes - I have a customer who was declined with a broker, we sent the very same case to the very same lender and had it accepted.

You need to weigh the case up on its merits, does it fit criteria and pass affordability? If it does, that is a good start.
    Are you pushing a lot of boundaries? Ie the maximum borrowing, the maximum LTV, the maximum amount of adverse? If so, that will probably not go in your favour.
    Do you have a good history with the bank? If so, all the better.

I am not a fan of Barclays, in fact I do not know of any brokers who are but they can be good if you bank with them and have a long standing history I have found (although I have not used them for a good 18 months).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VGeorge wrote: »
    Hiya,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has managed to obtain a Help to buy mortgage with Barclays who have had adverse credit in the past.

I would also like to hear from those who weren't successful, and what credit issues you've had.

Thank you in advance
    Have you read the criteria?
    County Court Judgements (CCJs/defaults)

Adverse credit as detailed below must be declined:

Any unsatisfied CCJ
    More than 1 satisfied CCJ and the latest is registered within the past 3 years
    Satisfied CCJs totalling more than £200 and the latest is registered within the past 3 years
    More than 3 satisfied defaults* and the latest is registered within the past 3 years
    Satisfied defaults* totalling more than £200 and the latest is registered within the past 3 years
    Any outstanding default, irrespective of amount
    If it is identified that a limited company, in which an applicant has greater than 15% shareholding, has any outstanding judgements totaling more than £5,000
    *Includes partially settled defaults which will be referred out to check whether full and final settlement has been made

Applications can be considered where the above is identified but only where documentary evidence of a settled dispute has been provided by the customer.

Over-indebtedness

Where the total unsecured bureau debt (credit cards, overdrafts and loans) is greater than or equal to the gross annual income used in the affordability assessment then the application will be declined. This includes where customers were looking to consolidate the borrowing on to the mortgage.

These standards only apply on drawn balances (unused credit limits are not included). This calculation is automatically applied by the system.

Bankruptcy/Debt Relief Orders/IVAs

Lending to a customer with a history of bankruptcy OR who has been the subject of a Debt Relief Order (DRO) or an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) can be considered provided any bankruptcy, DRO or IVA was registered more than 6 years ago from the date of submission of any mortgage application and no longer shows on the credit reference bureau information.

It is not acceptable to lend where we are aware that any applicant is currently bankrupt or subject to a DRO and/or IVA.

Payment arrears/missed payments

Any adverse credit identified, as detailed below, must be declined

Arrears of 2 or more months on any one account in the last 6 months
    Arrears of 3 or more secured or unsecured in the last 2 years

Mortgage or rent arrears

If arrears of more than 1 month have occurred in the past 6 months, and/or 3 months arrears have occurred in the past 2 years, the case is outside lending policy and is to be declined. However, this decision could be changed if there is an acceptable 'technical' reason, or if evidence of a settled dispute is provided and verified by the lender.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ACG wrote: »

I am not a fan of Barclays, in fact I do not know of any brokers who are but they can be good if you bank with them and have a long standing history I have found (although I have not used them for a good 18 months).

Just found this quite funny. Never has such a big player been so universally despised by the entire industry they work in.
    Their rates are always pretty good but my god you're rolling the dice on what experience you are going to have with underwriting
  • MsGeorge88
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

Yes I have read the criteria and I believe I pass it (joint app with 2 satisfied CCJs registers over 3 years ago). Affordability is not an issue. Do you think out adverse history is pushing boundaries with Barclays?

I understand I cannot judge my case based on others experiences using Barclays, but it will give me a feel on whether I should or shouldn't apply. Our other option is Precise.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whether or not you will be accepted by Barclays or not is one thing but why do you think your next option is Precise?

3 year old CCJ's still puts you at a great many prime lenders and although Precise have some not too horrific tier1 rates, going straight to them if you get a barclays decline is really really strange .

Who told you this was your best path?
  • MsGeorge88
    Options
    My MA. Precise seems to be the one the will surly accept us.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are usually other lenders between Barclays and Precise as JMA says.

Your broker has access to more than us so I would not rule out what they are saying, but it sounds like your broker maybe wants to try it on the high street and if that fails go to plan C or D and skipping out making other applications elsewhere. That is not necessarily a bad thing as it avoids multiple applications/credit checks but it does not ensure you get the best deal - I suppose it depends on whether time or cost is more important. There is no right answer for that, it will differ for everyone.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • pillowcase15
    Options
    Did you get sorted with a mortgage? I am currently looking at Barclays but have some late payments (all over 3 years ago) 
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    if was a FTB , I wouldn't choose Barclays, purely out of their customer service and speed of service. My remortgage took 12 weeks for something simple.  

Will your vendor or sanity be able to withstand it?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure