PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noise Reduction in Terraced House?

Options
12346»

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 June 2019 at 9:02PM
    Options
    so youre not a dad yourself who has bought up his children?

Nope. I do have experience of child noise, though!

And, I am in a relationship with someone who, as I said, has five children and thirteen grandchildren (one of whom lives with her).

We discussed this thread and she said what some here have said - move round with the child and have awareness of the neighbours if the noise is disturbing them - particularly as it is two hours a night. It's not just "it's life"

Are you saying this is wrong?
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    So this baby is going to continue to scream for 2 hrs every night once it is 17! Most bizarre.

Mostly stops within a couple of months.

No, different noise as he/she grows up, and its a 2 way street, how long until they are telling him to keep the music down at 6pm with the kid trying to get to sleep, Or in 15 years he/she playing music when next door has got a night shift.

The walls are clearly not that good.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 9:57AM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Nope. I do have experience of child noise, though!

And, I am in a relationship with someone who, as I said, has five children and thirteen grandchildren (one of whom lives with her).

We discussed this thread and she said what some here have said - move round with the child and have awareness of the neighbours if the noise is disturbing them - particularly as it is two hours a night. It's not just "it's life"

Are you saying this is wrong?

I'm not saying you are wrong...there is always people who will have a different opinion to ones own...and you are entitled to your opinion as am I and anyone else.

I do believe that if the child is yours you have more appreciation of any noise...I didn't realise this until I had my own,its on e thing having experience,its another level having one.
    Friends always maintain that its easier to change your own childs nappy than someone elses...

Noise is a very subjective thing and clearly some people suffer more from others noise than other people.The problem here with this neighbour is hes not in control of the noise

The OP could put soundproofing in to their property.I have some recent experience of this where a friend has installed something against their walls that is around 5cm in thickness and claimes to block out general talking or TV noise ...I would be unsure that even that were able to block out the sound of maybe a crying baby if its something that the other party has tuned into and hears no matter what.

What would be good for the OP to also establish is does the other neighbour on the other side hear or worry over the noise..thats a good indication if there really might be an issue.

I get the feeling that this is never going away for the OP...at the moment its baby crying,there will be times where their child is ill I the night and will disturb neighbours.
    There will be times when the recorder years kick in and yes you do unfortunately subject the neighbours to practice sessions ...and then what about the times when youre all out in the garden playing in a paddling pool and having fun....that noise albeit happy can be irritating to the guy next door who just wants to sit in his chair and snooze.

...and all that before we've even got to the teenage years.

If the neighbour really has a problem there is noise abatement departments at the local council...although with respect I really wouldn't think the case would be taken much further than the initial complaint

Today is fathers day and there will be many enjoying their children,warts and all..there will be others who just wish they were in the position to hear their child cry,whisper or laugh one more time

Yes I still maintain children are life...I make no apology that we disagree.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • buel10
    buel10 Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I second the suggestion to sort out the baby rather than the wall,

I will put absolutely every penny I own on that you do not have children.
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    markin wrote: »
    Its going to be a problem for the next 18 years, So yes i would fix it now. I don't see why it should cost more than £200 if you can do it yourself.

Ideally on a new stud wall or batons, and 2 layers of sound board with over lapping joints.
    8cfOkqF.jpg

Knauf Sound Panel
    https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Sound-Panel-Tapered-Edge---12-5mm-x-1-2m-x-2-4m/p/224657

British Gypsum Gyproc SoundBloc
    https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Gyproc-SoundBloc-Tapered-Edge-2400mm-x-1200mm-x-12-5mm/p/865328

Babys and kids are always a problem unless its a detached house, your neighbour Did choice to buy a terrace.

And this is where you need someone who knows what they are doing to make sure the details are exactly right. The picture misses out some vital information... The studs can be metal or wood but they must not be attached to the existing party wall. Gyproc's suggestion for good noise reduction is to use 19mm plasterboard plank next to the studs with a layer of 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard on top. For absolute best noise reduction a further layer of 15mm acoustic plasterboard can be used with Green Glue between the layers. Green glue isn't actually an adhesive but it forms a permanently flexible layer that is good at absorbing sound.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    buel10 wrote: »
    I will put absolutely every penny I own on that you do not have children.

It was my suggestion and I do have children.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I absolutely agree with wandering around with screaming demon, for those two hours. Mostly as a full 120m minutes full lungs screaming is effortful & being cuddled may help. There is all of downstairs. There is also research that says being walked with is the most familiar and soothing sensation a baby knows, so gently shambling up & down may help?

Depending on how alert you are (!) there may even be a car to go for a drive in. (I'm not advocating grand theft auto just the engine buzz soothed my three into oblivion. Getting them back into the house still out cold was tricky, though.)

If you can't get the yelling to stop, please see your health visitor/GP. Colic is a known & familiar chore but the hours you mention aren't the traditional ones, so please, get some medical advice if a week of relocating, cuddling & shambling hasn't helped?

We hung a rug up on the wall to help mop up some of the sound. Heavy, so we ended up playing 'hunt that joist' & fastening in three hooks to hold the broomhandle it was mounted on, but it did mop some noise & meant we had a nice rug later on.

Your little 'un Will outgrow this. A note thanking the neighbour for their support & tolerance & that you are working on possible remedies should hopefully reassure them that you do know & care & appreciate the racket is a challenge.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I once lived in a flat with a screaming baby on one side (cot up against the party wall) and a noisy toddler whose mother relentlessly yelled the f word at it on the other. We moved.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 June 2019 at 11:19AM
    Options
    And this is where you need someone who knows what they are doing to make sure the details are exactly right. The picture misses out some vital information... The studs can be metal or wood but they must not be attached to the existing party wall. Gyproc's suggestion for good noise reduction is to use 19mm plasterboard plank next to the studs with a layer of 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard on top. For absolute best noise reduction a further layer of 15mm acoustic plasterboard can be used with Green Glue between the layers. Green glue isn't actually an adhesive but it forms a permanently flexible layer that is good at absorbing sound.

Green glue starts getting expensive at £22 a tube/plasterboard sheet, i did find cheaper brands.

I also found a rubber mat, but at £39 for 3m x 1.25m it really starts adding to the cost.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Acoustics-Soundproofing-1-25m-thin/dp/B00BSBMFBM/

£32 for a 12 pack of Everbuild-AC50-Acoustic-Sealant.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-AC50-Acoustic-Sealant-Adhesive/dp/B006SV7PPS/

Also resilient bars could be used, or even resilient tape. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Acoustics-EPDM-Resilient-Sealant/dp/B00BSAAB1E/
    kzPxVwe.jpgkzPxVwe

kzPxVwe
    kzPxVwe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills