Do I need life insurance if my pension pot is big enough?

Options
Embarrassingly, I only discovered today that on death, my pension pot is giving to my family/estate in some capacity. Assuming my pension pot reaches a similar level to my life insurance pay out (£150k in this case), is there any real need for the life insurance?

In my case, I'm only insured privately for £150k - enough to clear the mortgage/debts and get the kids through university, and have about the same from a work perk based on my salary.

I'm hoping to have a pension pot of £300-400k by the time I retire, which will be enough to set everyone up or buy my wife a decent pension.

Am I missing some subtlety of how the pension pay-out would work, or misunderstanding anything?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Embarrassingly, I only discovered today that on death, my pension pot is giving to my family/estate in some capacity.

Doesnt go to your estate. It goes to a beneficiary outside of the estate. If you have given no nomination/expression of wish then the trustees will be left to decide who gets it.
    Assuming my pension pot reaches a similar level to my life insurance pay out (£150k in this case), is there any real need for the life insurance?

£150k of life assurance is not much nowadays. However, we dont know what your financial needs are. Is your pension fund worth £150k now or later? Maybe if it hits it later and just £150k is all your need, then maybe you dont need it.
    Am I missing some subtlety of how the pension pay-out would work, or misunderstanding anything?

No. Advisers usually include pension payouts in their shortfall analysis. So, all quite normal.

However, you may be understating your financial need if you are looking to cover the mortgage, other debts, kids, loss of income, reduced pension benefits etc. You should carry out a shortfall analysis before you do anything else.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure