Car hit by an ambulance, how to claim?

Options
An elderly friend’s car was damaged by a private ambulance when parked on street in parking bay on 1/June. She was not there, a hand written note was left on her windscreen admitting the liability along with a contact telephone number. When she called, the person who answered her call said they knew about the incident, he took her details, and said someone will get back to her. They didn’t call back, she called again 13/June, 27/June, each time different person answered her call, they all took her details saying someone will callback but never happened.

Today, she called again with the intension of asking for more detail about the incident/vehicle reg/driver name…etc. Another person picked up, said he could only take down the details and pass it on but refuse to provide any details such as company name, contact email nor vehicle registration number. He told her to contact her car insurer but she said no. She told him it’s easier if their insurer can deal with it but he said if she doesn’t go through her insurer then she can’t make any claim.

She only has third party insurance and her insurer can’t help her. I googled the telephone number provided on the note, now we have their business name. What can she do?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She reports accident to get insurance with the details you have

3rd party insurance does not affect a claim against anyone else
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would suggest she writes to the company at their registered address, lays out the particulars of the accident, their admission of liability and the amount of her claim. She needs to get the car fixed (to the degree she wants it fixed), pay for the repair and claim this back off of the other party in her letter. She may want a solicitor to draft the letter, or she may even have legal protection on her Motor Policy. If she doesn't she is going to have to pay for a solicitor, if she isn't happy writing the letter herself. Using a solicitor will give the best chance of success.

Please reassure your friend that the outcome is likely to be ok. A reputable company will not want to end up in c,ourt over a small matter.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Get the details of the ambulance's insurer from askmid (foc if you use a smart phone) if she has the reg no.

Then contact the insurer to make a claim

If she has legal cover with her policy she can use that to pursue a claim against the third party
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure