A few PIp questions.

Options
justaquestion
justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
edited 22 June 2018 at 12:22AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello Folks,

I am going through the change over from DLA to PIP, and have an assessment very shortly, face to face as they call it.

1 Can I ask for the assessment report a few days after assessment, or must I wait longer, if I do get the report, is it sort of in coded language, or do I get an idea of what I might be awarded or even nothing, does it give an idea of what points I might be awarded?

2 If turned down I will do the MR and appeal, should I loose both of these, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before applying for pip again, or is it more a less a waste of time anyways, as they might simply say, he went to MR and Tribunal appeal and lost, so this is more of the same, let us just turn this person down again?

Thanks you very much for any info.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello Folks,

I am going through the change over from DLA to PIP, and have an assessment very shortly, face to face as they call it.

1 Can I ask for the assessment report a few days after assessment, or must I wait longer, if I do get the report, is it sort of in coded language, or do I get an idea of what I might be awarded or even nothing, does it give an idea of what points I might be awarded?

2 If turned down I will do the MR and appeal, should I loose both of these, do I have to wait a certain amount of time before applying for pip again, or is it more a less a waste of time anyways, as they might simply say, he went to MR and Tribunal appeal and lost, so this is more of the same, let us just turn this person down again?

Thanks you very much for any info.
    You can ask for a copy of the assessment report anytime after the assessment. They won't send a copy out to you until DWP have received both copies back. That's the digital and paper copy.

The report will give you some idea what the decision will be yes because they mostly go with that report. Somewhere in there, there will be boxes with dots. You need to look online for the PIP descriptors and match those dots up, this will give you your score. 8 needed for Standard and 12 for Enhanced and there's 2 parts, daily living and mobility.

If the decision doesn't go in your favour and you ask for the MR, only 20% of these are successful. Those that take it to the Tribunal and appear in person have a better chance of a decision in their favour, 71% of people win.

If you lose, there's no timescale to when you can re-apply. If you apply straight away, yes it's possible they could refuse you again.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

Have you looked at the PIP descriptors to see where you can score those points? PIP and DLA are very different.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
  • justaquestion
    Options
    Thanks Poppy,

yes I did send supporting evidence away with form, was kind of hoping they would reach a decision without an assessment, but seems most people are called for one.

I had a good look at the descriptors while filling in the form.

I am on middle care and low mobility DLA

So hoping I get a good enough understanding assessor on day of face to face.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Poppy,

yes I did send supporting evidence away with form, was kind of hoping they would reach a decision without an assessment, but seems most people are called for one.

I had a good look at the descriptors while filling in the form.

I am on middle care and low mobility DLA

So hoping I get a good enough understanding assessor on day of face to face.
    Lots of people hope for the paper based assessment, but it rarely happens. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure