foster carer and tax credits.

Options

Comments

• gorryworry
    Options
    Hi, yes I explained all that to the tax advisor however even with my tax allowances i have made a profit every yr, she would not accept this saying it didnt matter how many children i fostered at 1 time i couldnt make a profit from fostering. and i was to put nil. i think im going to see a tax advisor i am worried sick about it,
    thanks every one for answering.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    gorryworry wrote: »
    Hi, yes I explained all that to the tax advisor however even with my tax allowances i have made a profit every yr, she would not accept this saying it didnt matter how many children i fostered at 1 time i couldnt make a profit from fostering. and i was to put nil. i think im going to see a tax advisor i am worried sick about it,

The tax credit rules follow tax. If you have a profit for tax then you have a profit for tax credits.

That is what the links provided above say. In most of the cases I come across foster carers don't make any profit for tax purposes and so tax credits will be nil but there isn't a rule that says all foster carers declare nil for tax credits.

IQ
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options

How much do you make from fostering?
  • C.C.L.
    C.C.L. Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thankyou CCL. they have always told me its nil earnings regardless of the amount of chidren i foster. its all so confusing .
    We were registered for 4 all above 11 years. We nearly always had more counting a pace bed and never paid any tax and got full tax credits. When we retired all our returns were checked by HMRC and we owed nothing.
    I agree it's confusing but we went with the advice and info provided by the tax & tax credits and it was all above board.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 June 2018 at 7:14PM
    Options
    If the OP gets a payment of more than the stated £200/£250 she may exceed the tax free allowance and would be taxed on the extra but it would have to be a very large payment.

With 3 children she would have a tax free amount of £16,000

To exceed that she would have to get a payment of more than 16,000 / 3.

Unless the OP tells us what amount she gets we cannot help her anymore
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    If the OP gets a payment of more than the stated £200/£250 she may exceed the tax free allowance and would be taxed on the extra but it would have to be a very large payment.

With 3 children she would have a tax free amount of £16,000

To exceed that she would have to get a payment of more than 16,000 / 3.

Unless the OP tells us what amount she gets we cannot help her anymore

Why only £16k? It's £10,000 plus £200/£250 per week per child.
  • gorryworry
    Options
    I had 15000 profit. average. because I foster 3 children. so I should have been declaring that as my income but was told no I was to put nil income as im a foster carer.
    Im speaking to a tax advisor next week.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    I had 15000 profit. average. because I foster 3 children. so I should have been declaring that as my income but was told no I was to put nil income as im a foster carer.

So you're receiving over £50k a year for fostering?
  • gorryworry
    Options
    depends how many children i.m looking after thats not all income for me thats split between income to spend on the children and fee for us.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options

You need to do a data protection request and get copies of those phone call recordings as you will need to dispute any overpayment that arises due to the incorrect advice.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport