How to manage mums funds

Options
We need to decide on a strategy for managing money (under power of attorney) for Mum who is living in a care home now. Combined savings and house sale leave her just under £600k. She needs £2k per month, after pensions and other income, to cover the care home fees so I’m hoping you good people can give us some pointers on best places to put her funds.
About £40k left in ISA (old account at rubbish rate) rest is in current account after house sale and I believe we have 2 months protection left while we split it across institutions etc.
Need to get a move on and put it to work as safely as we can. She’s always put us first - can’t let her down now.
Help!
I have borrowed from my future self
The banks are not our friends

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I personally would invest a proportion of it and keep a few years shortfall in national savings. Transfer cash isa to stocks and shares isa. For that amount you may need an IFA if you don't want to do the research yourself as it is quite time consuming if you new to investing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Your mother is in the fortunate position that she can comfortably be able to fund her care comfortably for the rest of her life. Now is not the time for long term investments, your duty as her attorneys is to manage that money for her benefit alone, so safely should be your top priority.

By all means take advantage of the best interest rates you can get, but put the rest into the safest home possible which is NS&I.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If you are legally responsible for looking after £600K of someone else's money and don't have the necessary skills/experience In my view you should either keep it in cash for the short term in NS&I or use an IFA to invest it for the longer term. This is for your protection as much as hers. If there is a major fall in share prices you need to be seen to have acted sensibly.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agree entirely with Keep pedalling's and Linton's comments above - with PoA you must look after the money in an appropriate and responsible way.

Investing in the conventional sense risks the capital and is generally only good sense long-term. You shouldn't risk the capital and, frankly, if your mother is elderly, you're not planning long-term.

So keep it all safe - which means in banks and/or NS&I.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5214897

Post 3 may be of interest if you are considering an immediate needs annuity - I think that Just Retirement has merged with Partnership so providers now down to two.
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    I think I might be tempted to take out an annuity to cover the monthly expense amount. I'd then bank the maximum allowed under current bank account indemnity laws in two or three accounts that pay the highest possible interest - the bulk of the funds however I would place in the safest possible home I could find, probably NS&I.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you feel you need help in deciding the way forward, an IFA who is also a member of SOLLA would be able to advise on immediate care needs annuities as well as other aspects
    https://societyoflaterlifeadvisers.co.uk/

Have you checked she is getting the correct rate of Attendance Allowance?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How old is you Mum and how is her health?

To fully cover your Mum's care and expenses you probably don't need to take risks. So I would avoid equities and I'd also probably also avoid annuity product as they'd immediately reduce the capital for inheritance. I'd look at a savings bond ladder of maybe 5 years duration using something like National Savings bonds or a Gilt and high quality corporate short term bond portfolio if you want a bit more return....at the cost of a little more risk.

Have you double checked your Mum's estate's inheritance tax situation to make sure there'll be no IHT to pay.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    How old is you Mum and how is her health?

To fully cover your Mum's care and expenses you probably don't need to take risks. So I would avoid equities and I'd also probably also avoid annuity product as they'd immediately reduce the capital for inheritance. I'd look at a savings bond ladder of maybe 5 years duration using something like National Savings bonds or a Gilt and high quality corporate short term bond portfolio if you want a bit more return....at the cost of a little more risk.

Have you double checked your Mum's estate's inheritance tax situation to make sure there'll be no IHT to pay.

The rules of Power of Attorney require that the attorney must always act in the best interests of the donor. Minimising IHT and maximising inheritance are not valid reasons for making an investment decision under PoA. An annuity could well be in the interests of the donor if there was any doubt as to whether the capital would last out. It could of course incidentally help the eventual beneficiaries by limiting the risk that all the money would be used up.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Attorneys have the same legal duty as trustees - i.e. to manage the donor's assets as a prudent person of business would.

If you're asking this question on Internet forums, you should be taking independent advice from an IFA who is a member of SOLLA. As said above this is for your protection as much as hers.

The above advice to stick it all in cash is poor. No information is given about the donor's age or state of health so - while it is true that the average stay in a care home is about two years - it is too much of a leap to assume her life expectancy is limited. She could be a physically healthy 60 or 70-something who happens to needs some help and she could require care for many years. There is not nearly enough information to say that the attorneys should stick it all in cash.

The attorneys would potentially be in trouble if she ran out of money - which is not impossible if she lives for many years, given care fees rise by more than inflation and her costs may increase as she needs more care - and had to leave the care home due to their decision to stick it under the mattress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure