Voluntary Redundancy - When can you claim Job Seekers Allowance?

Options
As the title says really.

Partner took Voluntary Redundancy?, he will get a bit of Redundancy pay (cross fingers and God willing), He is looking for work and applying but if he cant get anything soon when can he start to claim and is it Job Seekers Allowance?

I'm so green about this stuff as is he. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Josie2018 wrote: »

Partner took Voluntary Redundancy?, he will get a bit of Redundancy pay (cross fingers and God willing), He is looking for work and applying but if he cant get anything soon when can he start to claim and is it Job Seekers Allowance?

The day after he leaves work.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,825 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    On the day after his employment with the company that is making him redundant is terminated.

If he has paid sufficient NI for years 2015-16 and 2016-17 he'll get contributions based JSA for six months (referred to as 'new-style' JSA if you are in a full Universal credit area), providing he signs on and is actively seeking work.

If he hasn't got sufficient NI then he may qualify for either means-tested JSA or Universal credit depending on the area you living and the household income / savings
  • Josie2018
    Options
    Thank you, I really appreciate your help
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't delay in applying. When I was made redundant, I spent the first few days updating my CV etc - I thought that was the right priority. They didn't backdate the claim.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Josie2018 wrote: »

Well if he took voluntary redundancy (not really redundancy but anyway), surely that was negotiated already?
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    Don't delay in applying. When I was made redundant, I spent the first few days updating my CV etc - I thought that was the right priority. They didn't backdate the claim.

I didn't start my JSA claim for 4 weeks after being made redundant.
    When I did visit the Jobcentre, I was able to show the JSA adviser that I was busy applying for jobs and was attending 2 interviews a week for the delayed period.
    I explained that I was hoping that I would get a job very quickly, but started to lose hope after so many 2nd stage interview rejections.

Fortunately my JSA claim was backdated successfully.
    Even more fortunately, I landed a new job the day after my claim started.

But try and not delay as your circumstances may be treated differently...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure