How long does it take for an Inheritance with many beneficiaries (and no will) to be sorted?

Options
Ok, so my mum (and her siblings) received word that there was no will left by their uncle and was asked to give their details to a probate/inheritance (not sure) law firm.

There was a property involved and they worked out with nieces and nephews it probably worked out at about 17 beneficiaries.

He died about a year ago, the family members were contacted about the will (or lack thereof) about 7 months ago.

They found out the property had been sold about 2 months ago, but have yet to receive any word.

What's the usual time frame on these things? and would they even inform the potential beneficiaries if a will had turned up or a son/daughter (and does a son or daughter emerging make a difference?)

Also would they receive any documentation from the lawyers as they have received no correspondence (don't even know who the lawyers are to contact and ask them)

Their details were requested by a cousin who informed them of the inheritance, they do not wish to contact the cousin and appear like "vultures"

Silly i know. I would rather know one way or another than pin hopes on something that may never appear and get wound up with every week that passes where nothing arrives.
Where the !!!! has the Shrug gone! :confused: just doesn't cut it... :huh::think::huh: and these don't come close

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Whatever time frame you were hoping for add a month minimum to get everyone in line for a bequest through the money laundering regs, which means Every Person has to prove their ID.

Data of birth & recent bank statement is easy-ish but getting it witnessed by the appropriate person & documented as such can take a harrowing length of time & everyone blames the other side of the family.

To add salt, those who are comfortably off seem not to be too fussed whereas those who could seriously use the payout would be well advised to speak to their bank & arrange a loan.
    (What me, bitter? Yep. Still mentioning he deceased with thanks in my prayers but one branch of the family has dropped right off my Christmas card list.)

In short, know where your birth certificate & recent bank statements are, then carry on as if you'd No Expectations Whatsoever. It's just easier on the nervous system.
  • chompie
    chompie Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whatever time frame you were hoping for add a month minimum to get everyone in line for a bequest through the money laundering regs, which means Every Person has to prove their ID.

Data of birth & recent bank statement is easy-ish but getting it witnessed by the appropriate person & documented as such can take a harrowing length of time & everyone blames the other side of the family.

To add salt, those who are comfortably off seem not to be too fussed whereas those who could seriously use the payout would be well advised to speak to their bank & arrange a loan.
    (What me, bitter? Yep. Still mentioning he deceased with thanks in my prayers but one branch of the family has dropped right off my Christmas card list.)

In short, know where your birth certificate & recent bank statements are, then carry on as if you'd No Expectations Whatsoever. It's just easier on the nervous system.
    They've not even got to any verification of ID stage yet...
    Where the !!!! has the Shrug gone! :confused: just doesn't cut it... :huh::think::huh: and these don't come close
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A son or daughter turning up would make a difference, if they have not been adopted out then they would be eligible to inherit the lot

What is more likely is that while his siblings will inherit equal shares, any share for a deceased sibling will be divided amongst the siblings children (is this where your mum fits in?) - once it gets to nieces and nephews it can be more difficult to ensure that they have everyone eligible - there may be unexpected children there who turn up
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    I would add that it is a time consuming process that may take many months.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    A simple estate should be sorted out within a year, but this isn't simple.

The solicitors will not be paying anything out until they are certain no other beneficiaries or other claimants can come forward. If they've only just (and in executry timescales 2 months is 'only just') got the house sold then that's progress, but it can still take a few months at least before distribution of assets can start.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't the solicitors normally publish a request for interested parties to come forward? Has that happened yet?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chompie wrote: »
    Ok, so my mum (and her siblings) received word that there was no will left by their uncle and was asked to give their details to a probate/inheritance (not sure) law firm.

Also would they receive any documentation from the lawyers as they have received no correspondence (don't even know who the lawyers are to contact and ask them)

Their details were requested by a cousin who informed them of the inheritance, they do not wish to contact the cousin and appear like "vultures"

Just contact the cousin and ask for the contact details of the solicitor dealing with the estate!

Why should some beneficiaries know who is dealing with the estate and not others?
  • chompie
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the replies (and on a Saturday too!)
    He had no kids as far as anyone is aware, only living relatives are his brothers' kids (of which there are 17)

It appears they (the lawyers) have found one Niece's details and pretty much asked her to gather contact details for the rest of the potential heirs.

Personally i would just ask the cousin in question for the details of the solicitor but as i mentioned this particular arm of the family don't want to seem like money grabbers (even though secretly they've already spent it ;) )
  • chompie
    edited 13 October 2018 at 9:57PM
    Options
    Been searching the interweb and found details for the law firm holding the estate in a local gazette ...

Have contacted them (the law firm not the gazette) for an update.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I know someone whose relative died without a will (it was thought there was one but no one could find it) there were two houses and numerous bank accounts and investments. Two years in it's still nowhere near settled, because if the time taken to investigate exactly what assets were held which could only be done by digging through years of paperwork and bank statements.
    The eventual bill from solicitors will be astronomic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure