Halifax Reward account; a Direct Debits question

Options
Hello, with this account 2 Direct Debits are needed to get the rewards but I only have 1 which is for my broadband, but was wondering could I setup my PayPal's Direct Debit for the second and withdraw money once a month to qualify?

PayPal use the Direct Debit system to get money from a bank account to a user's Paypal account.

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, you can do it, but you can't automate it for monthly payments.

There's a recent thread about PayPal DDs
  • Jelli
    Jelli Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 12:21PM
    Options
    Thanks for confirming that. I'll do it manually.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Jelli wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming that. I'll do it manually.

Many of us no longer seem to have had the option to move money into our PayPal accounts by DD. However, it is, apparently, still possible to do this via the app. (I can't confirm as I haven't yet downloaded the app)
  • Jelli
    edited 7 October 2017 at 8:49PM
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Many of us no longer seem to have had the option to move money into our PayPal accounts by DD. However, it is, apparently, still possible to do this via the app. (I can't confirm as I haven't yet downloaded the app)

I thought that's how loading money into your account was done with PayPal was DD. How is it possible to request funds from your own bank otherwise?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I thought that's how loading money into your account was done with PayPal was DD. How is it possible to request funds from your own bank otherwise?

When you log into PayPal via the website and go to add money it only gives you the option to set up a payment to PayPal, and you send the money to PayPal, and not for paypal to pull the money from your account.

You can no longer request money from your bank account on the website, You can request to pull money to PayPal via the app.

My money hit my PayPal account on Friday.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Jelli
    Options
    Ah, so it has changed then. OK, thanks.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    Open a Tesco internet saver account. Setup a direct debit for £3 a month to take from your Halifax account.

Job done. :)
  • Jelli
    Options
    Open a Tesco internet saver account. Setup a direct debit for £3 a month to take from your Halifax account.

lol brilliant.
  • Jelli
    edited 29 October 2017 at 8:53AM
    Options

I know this is a late thread update but found out something regarding your suggestion. Sadly Tesco will be stopping this ability from 22nd April 2018 on their "Internet Saver" and "Instant Access Savings" accounts.

I might only be left with using charities but need to factor in the cost/benefit of doing this, or look at other banks but not many do what Tesco did.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 October 2017 at 10:43AM
    Options
    I know this is a late thread update but found out something regarding your suggestion. Sadly Tesco will be stopping this ability from 22nd April 2018 on their "Internet Saver" and "Instant Access Savings" accounts.

I might only be left with using charities but need to factor in the cost/benefit of doing this, or look at other banks but not many do what Tesco did.

Tip: try your local credit unions. I've opened basic savings accounts (online, no need to visit them) with two local credit unions and set up monthly DDs of £10 from my Bank of Scotland Vantage current account (currently operating with DDs to Tesco IS accounts, but that facility ends April 2018).
    Note:-

(1) Not all credit unions have the facility to fund accounts by DD. Payroll deduction and/or standing order are more common. One credit union in my area doesn't have DD at the moment but the website says it's coming soon. This suggests that CU's won't be stopping DD deposits anytime soon (unless the facility is abused, I suppose).
    (2) Monthly amounts by DD to CU's should (I suggest) be respectable amounts. Also I suggest leaving the funds to accumulate in the CU account for at least a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure