PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house with no dropped kerb.

Options
NurseNelly
NurseNelly Posts: 23 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 20 October 2019 at 8:18PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

Just had a homebuyers report done on a property I’m buying, which came back with very few issues, however something I hadn’t noticed (or even been aware was an issue) was that although it has a block paved driveway, there is no dropped kerb. I just went to drive past the property and the pavement is really low, the owner is parked on his driveway, but it’s definitely not a dropped kerb.

I have browsed the other threads that have been posted about the same topic, and have learned a lot from those. There was just a couple of things I was still wondering about.

Does anyone know if I can apply for permission, or find o the chances of it being approved, before the house is legally mine?

I live in North Tyneside and I’ve read their online pdf and as far as I can see (I don’t understand all of the terms used) the criteria seems to be ok. We’re not near a corner, there is plus 5 metres from the road to the garage wall, and it doesn’t seem to be a street that struggles with in street parking needs at all. There is a dropped kerb fairly close to where mine would need to be, but I’m not sure if this would matter as it doesn’t mention that on the council criteria.

I’m just concerned if there is a reason why the owner hasn’t done this. Maybe they just weren’t bothered financially. The owner is in the building trade and has done a lot of work on the house himself, including the block paved driveway, so maybe didn’t want to spend extra on approval/getting contractors to do things. I’m just worried that he has applied and been denied. Would they have to disclose that if I asked?

I’m not really that bothered about not being able to use the drive as I don’t have a car at the moment, but I don’t want this to be an issue if I can’t get it done and then come to sell the house and it be an issue for buyers. Trying to be sensible here!

Thanks

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    May be worth asking the EA to find out why the kerb isn't dropped and have they had issues before going anywhere near the council.

If its advertised as benefitting from having a driveway/off road parking its incorrect and no more than a paved garden.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't ask the EA as they will tell you what you want to hear. Speak directly with the owner with 'what issues with not getting a dropped kerb?' and gauge the response.

Perhaps take a photo and speak with the council yourself too
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check the parking during day and evening/weekend.

Chances are everyone who parks there is familiar with the drive being used and wouldn't park in front if it's a quiet residential area.

I'd personally budget to get the kerb dropped asap and if lots of your neighbours have dropped kerbs it's highly unlikely to be an issue getting permission, but as the council will do the work it will probably cost £1000-2000
  • NurseNelly
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

I wasn’t sure whether it was best to get my solicitor to ask the EA or vendor about prior applications or to just ask myself. I will definitely be chasing it up though.

Interestingly I read some stuff on the TPOS property ombudsman website about cases where the property had been advertised with off street parking without a dropped kerb, and the EA being forced to pay 25% of the cost of the dropped kerb! Interesting because I’ve seen discussions on older threads saying that the EA disclaimers meant they had zero responsibility in this, due to not having the expertise, but the TPO disagreed and said they are professionals in house sales and would be expected to know this in the same way they know not to advertise a loft room without building regs, as an additional bedroom. I only mention this as a point of interest as it doesn’t apply to me as my surveyor has picked it up and I’m happy to pay for it to have it done myself, I just don’t want it to become an issue when I come to sell in the future if I find I’m now allowed to do it, and the massive secure driveway suddenly isn’t a selling point.

The road itself I’ve visited at all times of the day/evening and it’s very quiet traffic/parking wise. One side of the street all have large off street parking areas and the opposite side is bungalows for the elderly. It’s not a road that leads to anywhere so no traffic passing through.

I have heard our local council charges £1200-£1500 but allows you to use approved contractors if you pay a £50 for the work to be approved by them afterwards. I’ll definitely budget for that to be done in the next year or so, so long as I know it will be accepted.

Thanks again.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2019 at 9:57PM
    Options
    A neighbour had a similar thing in my old street. Most people respected it until the council decided to paint parking spaces/strips on the street/pavement so people knew where to park. Nobody ever left that space free ever again!

If parking was just a lucky bonus, try and get money off if it was advertised with parking. If you wanted it for the future and only considered properties with parking, I'd walk.

Good luck.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ask the owner to apply for permission and go slow on the purchase until it's granted.
    You can debate / negotiate who pays the cost , should it be granted, in the meantime
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't assume the council will let you drop the kerb, even if your neighbours have had it done.

The rules keep getting stricter. I'd be very wary; if you want a place with off-road parking, this may not be it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In the first instance, it probably makes sense to ask the seller (perhaps via the EA) - because you should get quicker answers that way.

Hopefully, you will get a 'truthful' answer, but if you want to rely on the answer contractually, you'll need to pass on the info to your solicitor.

If you intend asking the council about it, out of politeness, I would tell the seller first. Some councils get quite aggressive about 'illegal' driving over pavements to get to parking spaces - and do things like put bollards up to block the parking space.
  • NurseNelly
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »

If you intend asking the council about it, out of politeness, I would tell the seller first. Some councils get quite aggressive about 'illegal' driving over pavements to get to parking spaces - and do things like put bollards up to block the parking space.
    That’s a good point actually. I’ll mention it to the EA to see if they can ask, and mention that the council might pop round to have a look.
  • NurseNelly
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Ask the owner to apply for permission and go slow on the purchase until it's granted.
    You can debate / negotiate who pays the cost , should it be granted, in the meantime

That’s where the trying to be sensible comes in! I’m absolutely desperate to move as my housing situation at the moment is dire. It is what it is though and I know that this is probably the most sensible suggestion in the long run, and I’ve waited this long... it’s frustrating though as I’m not in need of the parking, just don’t want to end up with difficulties in the future when I want to move on. And if it’s giving me pause, then it will definitely do the same for someone who does actually need/want the parking. Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure