eligibility criteria for Warm Home Discount

Options
mama5405
mama5405 Posts: 13 Forumite
I looked at last year's criteria for the broader group, I have received the money in the last 3 years, but I understand that conditions can change.

E.on required that you were a customer on 9 July to be eligible for the WHD for the following year, First Utility doesn't mention any date, is there a general rule or is this different for each Company?

I am now with Coop and my contract ends on 31 July, if I switch to E,on on 13 June, do you think that the process will be finished and my contract with E.on will be live before 9 July or am I taking a chance and loose £140?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When I moved to EON last year, it took less than 3 weeks. It was around 18 days. You should be a customer around 1 July.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mama5405 wrote: »
    I looked at last year's criteria for the broader group, I have received the money in the last 3 years, but I understand that conditions can change.

E.on required that you were a customer on 9 July to be eligible for the WHD for the following year, First Utility doesn't mention any date, is there a general rule or is this different for each Company?

I am now with Coop and my contract ends on 31 July, if I switch to E,on on 13 June, do you think that the process will be finished and my contract with E.on will be live before 9 July or am I taking a chance and loose £140?

Thanks for your help.

Hello mama5405 and thought it might help if I explained a little about last year's scheme.

The 9 July cut off last year referred to customers in the Core Group. These were the ones who automatically received Warm Home Discount and didn't need to apply. The Department of Work and Pensions identified those in the Core Group and contacted them directly. They also told us and, provided we supplied the electricity on 9 July, we'll have made the payment. We'll have still paid this even if they had changed supplier after 9 July.

With the Broader Group, we identify eligible customers based on their receipt of certain benefits. You're right, these conditions can change year on year and customers need to apply separately each year as applications aren't rolled over from one year to the next. Also, if there's a change of supplier before the discount is paid, they'll need to apply to the new company instead. Applications can't be transferred between suppliers.

Each supplier handles applications under the Broader Group differently. We haven't finalised details of our 2018/19 Broader Group scheme yet. Once we have, we'll put details on our website as well as letting all those who have applied know what's happening. We're looking to be able to do this by the end of the summer.

Hope this is useful mama5405. Let me know if you if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mama5405
    mama5405 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Malc, this means I am switching to a provider without knowing their conditions for WHD broader group.
    Normally I get a rough idea by looking at their last year's conditions, however with EON this information is not available.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am switching provider also whereas I received last years whd payment from SP.
    Sse are also advising viatheir website that 2018/2019 isn;t yet decided for criterea.
    Time will tell.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • RandomQ
    RandomQ Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello mama5405 and thought it might help if I explained a little about last year's scheme.

The 9 July cut off last year referred to customers in the Core Group. These were the ones who automatically received Warm Home Discount and didn't need to apply. The Department of Work and Pensions identified those in the Core Group and contacted them directly. They also told us and, provided we supplied the electricity on 9 July, we'll have made the payment. We'll have still paid this even if they had changed supplier after 9 July.

With the Broader Group, we identify eligible customers based on their receipt of certain benefits. You're right, these conditions can change year on year and customers need to apply separately each year as applications aren't rolled over from one year to the next. Also, if there's a change of supplier before the discount is paid, they'll need to apply to the new company instead. Applications can't be transferred between suppliers.

Each supplier handles applications under the Broader Group differently. We haven't finalised details of our 2018/19 Broader Group scheme yet. Once we have, we'll put details on our website as well as letting all those who have applied know what's happening. We're looking to be able to do this by the end of the summer.

Hope this is useful mama5405. Let me know if you if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc

Malc

Can you please clarify this bit of what you said:

"The Department of Work and Pensions identified those in the Core Group and contacted them directly. They also told us and, provided we supplied the electricity on 9 July, we'll have made the payment. We'll have still paid this even if they had changed supplier after 9 July."

I have a family member looked after by the DWP, they are profoundly dyslexic and schizophrenic, my cousin does their utilities but only setting up a DD.

Exactly what data is shared, Names, Addresses?

Is there a single database shared with all energy companies?

Does the customer have to initiate this?

Do the customers give their authority for their data to be shared in this way?

What are the benefits they have to be on?

He was on DLA I think, recently moved to ESA and trying to get PIP

He is profoundly vulnerable, my cousin is always having to get him out of contracts that he agrees to on phone, I think he must be on some sort of list.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The guaranteed element of Pension Credit is the only benefit which qualifies recipients of the WHD as "Core Group", those who qualify automatically without having to apply. See below for further information:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/warm-home-discount-whd
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    mama5405 wrote: »
    Thanks Malc, this means I am switching to a provider without knowing their conditions for WHD broader group.
    Normally I get a rough idea by looking at their last year's conditions, however with EON this information is not available.

You're welcome mama5405. Totally understand where you're coming from. We're waiting for a steer from the Government and so don't have a specific opening date yet. I've just checked with the area looking after the upcoming scheme and they've advised July/August as a possible opening date. I suspect all suppliers involved with Warm Home Discount are in a similar position.

Sorry I can't be more specific. As I mentioned above, as soon as details are known, our website will be the first area updated.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    RandomQ wrote: »
    Malc

Can you please clarify this bit of what you said:

"The Department of Work and Pensions identified those in the Core Group and contacted them directly. They also told us and, provided we supplied the electricity on 9 July, we'll have made the payment. We'll have still paid this even if they had changed supplier after 9 July."

I have a family member looked after by the DWP, they are profoundly dyslexic and schizophrenic, my cousin does their utilities but only setting up a DD.

Exactly what data is shared, Names, Addresses?

Is there a single database shared with all energy companies?

Does the customer have to initiate this?

Do the customers give their authority for their data to be shared in this way?

What are the benefits they have to be on?

He was on DLA I think, recently moved to ESA and trying to get PIP

He is profoundly vulnerable, my cousin is always having to get him out of contracts that he agrees to on phone, I think he must be on some sort of list.

Hello RandomQ and can well understand your concern given your family member's circumstances.

Warm Home Discount is a Government initiative. The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) tell us who they believe are most at risk of fuel poverty (name and address). The DWP write to these customers to let them know they're eligible. This is the Core Group. As Smodlet says, those qualifying for the Core Group in 2017/18, needed to be in receipt of the Guarantee element of Pension Credit (even if receiving Saving Credit as well). At this point, I don't know if this will change. As I posted in reply to mama5405 above, we're waiting for details.

Customers in the Core Group don't have to apply. The payment is made automatically. They do, though, need to be the named account holder or the partner of the named account holder.

As I posted last week, Broader Group applications are looked after separately.

Other than the above, I don't know if the DWP uses any other mechanisms to identify qualifying customers or if there are any databases involved.

The link Smodlet has posted might shed more light on to your questions. There's also information on our website that could be useful.

Sorry this doesn't answer all your questions RandomQ but hope it gives you a steer.

Malc
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Purely for information, the "Savings" element of Pension Credit has not existed for at least a year and never conveyed Core Group status for the WHD. I believe this has led to confusion in the past for those who were in receipt of the savings but not the guaranteed element.

As I understand it, if you receive Pension Credit now, you should be in the Core Group as there is no longer a Savings element but I stand to be corrected. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure