PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I leave my tenancy before end of contract?

Options
ftb_deena
ftb_deena Posts: 53 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 March 2018 at 1:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello :) I am a FTB currently renting. I recently signed a 3-month contract that ends on 19th May. I'm pretty sure I will be exchanging/completing on a house sale soon, so I'm wondering if I can end my tenancy early if I need to?

I'm hoping to have a move-in date by March 19th, which my solicitor said is doable. (not move in by this date, but have a date to work towards by then)

Does this sort of thing depend on different landlords? He's a cool guy, but he has been chasing me for a date, and fairly so!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Basically there are only a few ways to end a tenancy - the easiest for you is by agreement.

Set a completion date, let your landlord know and hope he agrees.

(if you were moving soon, im not sure why you signed a 3 month contract 3 weeks ago tbh!)
  • ftb_deena
    Options
    We signed the contract and then found our house days later!!

It was bad timing, but without signing we would be homeless right now....
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    And everything pertaining to buying the house has been done - searches etc, only exchange and completion are left?

Because if not, two months is a nice amount of time to get all that done and then move out of your rental, clean it etc just in time to give it back.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Most purchases take 12 weeks average. Are your vendors really going to be ready to actually complete by next Monday?! Are they at the top of the chain?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • SharkBite
    SharkBite Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing to stop you leaving. Though you would be liable to pay all rent due up to the end of the tenancy unless agreed otherwise with your LL. Get anything agreed in writing.

People can be "cool" until money is involved...
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ftb_deena wrote: »
    We signed the contract and then found our house days later!!

It was bad timing, but without signing we would be homeless right now....
    No you wouldn't. eviction takes months....
  • ftb_deena
    Options
    Yep, just exchange and completion to go! Very friendly with the sellers and believe everything is up to date, I have a call with my solicitor tomorrow. We are FTB so no chain, and sellers are moving into rented, which is all sorted for them.

Thanks for all advice, I will definitely get anything in writing!!
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Wait so you moved in to your rental property on the 19th Feb, found a house you wanted to buy three days later and seriously expect to have the keys in your hand by next Monday?
    Are you in the UK?
  • ftb_deena
    Options
    No fairy lights.

I moved in in February 2017 on a 6 month contract. Renewed for 3 months from then. And then another 3 months (before I found my house). I obviously renewed contracts before they were ending. And yes in UK.

Please don't assume!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairy lights point was regarding the speed of your purchase I think:

22nd Feb to 19th March is fast for the UK. Thugh not impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure