IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter Before Claim - Defense?

Options

Comments

• pub1900
    pub1900 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Was the car park one belonging to the railway? Are Britannia claiming this is a Penalty Charge under Railway Byelaws?

To whom does the letter tell you to pay? DRP?

'Britannia and court' not often seen in the same sentence! And over just a single PCN where it would cost them 3 times what they could recover?

Can't see any reference to Railway Bylaws. Says they are entitled to the sums under contract law.

SCS letter doesn't specifically say who to pay, but does give an SCS number and email to contact if we want to pay.

I agree - won't take much work by SCS to eat up their ill-gotten £100. SCS charges are available on the BPA site (I can't post links yet).
  • Thorsson
    Thorsson Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Almost all Railway Land is owned by Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd. However, most stations are leased to Train Operating Companies (TOCs). I can't see that the Station is named - if it were I can say whether this is the case (or if it's one of the view operated by NR themselves) and the name of the TOC.

However, I'm not sure whether the Leaseholder is relevant. Note that it would be the TOC (or NR in the case of the stations that they run) who employed the Parking company.
  • pub1900
    Options
    Thanks Thorsson. It was Wickford. There are a couple of parking areas there and both are adjacent to the station so I think it likely that they are Railway Assets.
  • Thorsson
    edited 16 July 2018 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Wickford is operated by Abellio East Anglia. I can see only one official car park, which is next to the station, bounded by Station Avenue and Station Approach. NCP run AEA's Car Parks currently, but I don't know about last October. If that was the Car Park I can give you advice about approaching AEA, if you were using the railway.

However, I can see a lot of retail car parks close to the station. If it was one of these I doubt very much that is railway land.

Apologies, I see the second car park on the other end of the station. That should be exactly the same, so either of those will be railway car parks.

PS AEA Website says that NCP have been running their Car Parks since 31/07/17. However I found a Tweet (https://twitter.com/PaulGledhill look for April 2017) that suggested Britannia were running it earlier in 2017. "Gledders" was offering help, might be worth contacting him.

Further evidence uncovered. https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/essex-woman-visiting-paralysed-husband-439444 So it appears that despite what the AEA website says, Britannia were running the Car Park in August 2017, so quite probably still in October too.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The way to check if that car park was a Network Rail one is to ask the council who pays the Non-Domestic Rates. All NR car parks pay rates to a central point and not directly to the council so ask.
  • Thorsson
    Options
    All NR car parks pay rates to a central point and not directly to the council so ask.

Actually that's not entirely true. There are grandfather rights (as in many railway things), but many areas of railway land have lost those rights because of changes.

Still, if the rights had been lost the TOC would be paying the rates, as the leaseholder.

P.S. I don't know much about parking, but I know a lot about the railway.
  • Thorsson
    Options
    I have made enquiries and the (smaller) Car Park that is closest to the station (i.e. the one bounded by Station Avenue and Station Approach) is not a railway car park, but a private one. It is not on railway land.

Therefore if you parked on that one it is not covered by railway byelaws.
  • pub1900
    Options
    Thanks very much for the help and research Thorsson. It was the smaller one (the eastern one bounded by those roads) unfortunately, which explains it being Britannia.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much for the help and research Thorsson. It was the smaller one (the eastern one bounded by those roads) unfortunately, which explains it being Britannia.

Still check with the council who pays the rates. Britannia can only operate with the authority of the occupier or the owner. And in many cases whoever hired can cancel too.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,740 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thorsson wrote: »
    Actually that's not entirely true. There are grandfather rights (as in many railway things), but many areas of railway land have lost those rights because of changes.

Still, if the rights had been lost the TOC would be paying the rates, as the leaseholder.

P.S. I don't know much about parking, but I know a lot about the railway.

You appear to know something about parking and railways.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure