PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 21 and Possession order help needed

Options
My landlords wish to vacate the house in which I am a tenant and I’m trying to ascertain how long before I have to leave.

My situation would be regarded as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. (I didn’t ask for a tenancy agreement as I didn’t want to pay an absurd Tenancy renewal fee) and although I’ve read the tenancy guides here I’m still unsure where I stand

They originally wished to vacate last year and sent Form 6a on 15th Dec ’18 thus requiring vacation 15th Feb ’19. They changed their minds and in an email on 27th March said they would give good notice if they again wanted me to vacate. On 23rd May they emailed to say they again require me to vacate.

So I’m not sure where I stand regards: Do they have to serve another Form 6A Section 21 notice?
Do they need to seek a possession order if I cannot leave and will they be able to do it in a shorter time period for any reason?

I don’t owe any rent nor have caused any problems, they consider me a very good tenant but moving before about 4 months is going to be a total nightmare, so I really need to know what is the minimum time before a bailiff can evict me.

Help extremely appreciated.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Paul0973 wrote: »
    My situation would be regarded as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. (I didn’t ask for a tenancy agreement as I didn’t want to pay an absurd Tenancy renewal fee)
    "wouldbe regarded as" or "is"?
    I assume it started as a fixed term AST? 6 months? 12?
    On what exact date did the fixed term expire?
    Did the original contract set up a Contractual Periodic subsequent to the fixed term, or make no such arrangement?

They originally wished to me to vacate last year and sent Form 6a on 15th Dec ’18 thus requiring vacation 15th Feb ’19. They changed their minds and in an email on 27th March said they would give good notice if they again wanted me to vacate.
    This email effectively cancelled the S21 Notice.

On 23rd May they emailed to say they again require me to vacate.
    This would require a new S21 Notice.

So I’m not sure where I stand regards: Do they have to serve another Form 6A Section 21 notice?
    Yes

Do they need to seek a possession order
    Yes, after serving a new S21 and waiting 2 months.

if I cannot leave and will they be able to do it in a shorter time period for any reason?
    Yes, via a S8 Notice for certain specific reasons eg rent arrears,

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Schedule 2 (17 S8 Grounds a LL can use)
  • Paul0973
    Paul0973 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there G_M Really appreciate the quick reply.

I'm going to say that I am under an SPT. I originally had a fixed term AST for 12 months but that ended Jan '17.

I don't think there's any arrangement subsequent to the Contractual Period, about all I could find was the sentence - 'Please note that should your contract enter into a rolling periodic tenancy your Landlord will be required to serve two months written notice from the anniversary date of the contract'

Really hope you're right about them having to serve S21 again. Thanks for the links too. I did see the Ending/Renewing page but I think I need to go through it in depth as I've missed things concerning an improper S21 - since they haven't been issuing me AST's I haven't an EPC or Gas Safety Certificate either.

Many thanks
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a deposit and is it protected?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi there G_M Really appreciate the quick reply.

I'm going to say that I am under an SPT. I originally had a fixed term AST for 12 months but that ended Jan '17.

I don't think there's any arrangement subsequent to the Contractual Period, about all I could find was the sentence - 'Please note that should your contract enter into a rolling periodic tenancy your Landlord will be required to serve two months written notice from the anniversary date of the contract'

Really hope you're right about them having to serve S21 again. Thanks for the links too. I did see the Ending/Renewing page but I think I need to go through it in depth as I've missed things concerning an improper S21 - since they haven't been issuing me AST's I haven't an EPC or Gas Safety Certificate either.

Many thanks

If you did not receive a GSC BEFORE moving in; then as it currently stands; you cannot be evicted using s.21.

I believe that this is currently being appealed, but I haven't heard anything more about whether this has been successful or not.
  • Paul0973
    Options
    Yes and yes. I don't see foresee problems there at least.

Thanks
  • Paul0973
    edited 24 May 2019 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Comms69 I just dug out some old folder and yes I was given a Gas safety record but it's only been that one time four years ago. The EPC of the property was assessed ten years ago!

Thanks for posting
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Comms69 I just dug out some old folder and yes I was given a Gas safety record but it's only been that one time four years ago. The EPC of the property was assessed ten years ago!

Thanks for posting

EPC only needs done every ten years. I'm not sure whether an expired EPC needs renewed before a valid S21 can be issued.

Has the gas been checked each year? Gas needs done annually, if not they would need to get that up to date before issuing a S21
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    There are plenty of posters here who will happily tell you how to give your landlord the runaround and frustrate their desire to re-take possession of their hose but you need to remember that sooner or later they will manage to evict you, so the probability is that you will be going.

You can be awkward, and strong it out, risking very short notice of your departure, or work with them to agree a date that works for you, have a civilized exit and leave with a nice reference.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are plenty of posters here who will happily tell you how to give your landlord the runaround and frustrate their desire to re-take possession of their hose - it's currently the tenants house... but you need to remember that sooner or later they will manage to evict you, so the probability is that you will be going. - yes in around 6-9 months.

You can be awkward - awkward, by relying on the law? , and strong it out, risking very short notice - define very short, 28 days seems quite long to me of your departure, or work with them to agree a date that works for you, have a civilized exit and leave with a nice reference.

Yes please, can I have a reference from 'some guy' to 'another guy', saying that I am capable of paying a small amount of money everything; that would be swell thanks :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if they sent you a S21 today, it would take at least three months for them to wait for the 2 months notice to end, get a possession order processed through court, two weeks notice automatic with that, then a bailiffs warrant, another two weeks notice. And thats if courts process these forms quickly, there can be waiting times of weeks in many courts.

The only way to speed things up would be to escalate things to the High Court. Then you can have sheriffs turn up and give you an hour to leave, but I don't know how that works exactly, I think the possession order would have to be obtained first, which you would be told about.

So it is likely you will get the four months you need as it looks like your LL will have problems even issuing a legal S21.

However, be aware that forcing things to go through court will mean the court will order you to pay for the possession order proceedings and bailiffs warrant (last time I looked it was nearly £500). In my case, the LL paid the money initially, but as part of the possession order the court ordered that I repay him within 30 days. What happens if a tenant doesn't refund the LL, I don't know exactly. Plenty of tenants seem to have LL's that don't pursue the fees. But it can happen. I agreed for the costs to be taken out of my deposit.

It might be worth phoning Shelter to check details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure