Indoor TV aerial for Freeview etc!

Options
Topaz99
Topaz99 Posts: 45 Forumite
Can anyone recommend a simple Freeview Indoor aerial that boosts the signal and gives a good reception?

I thought this maybe easy, as TV is now all digital, but I have tried several TV Indoor Aerials that 'claim' to be the best including, the 'One For All' range but nothing works?

We have a brand new 22" all singing dancing Digital TV for the kitchen, but can never get a consistent signal without moving it around, or not at all most times!

We can't use the main 'roof' aerial as thats the other side of the room, so any suggestions on getting a good aerial for a simple latest TV to work!?

is there something out there, that beats everything else?

Thank you

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are now learning why aerials get mounted on the roof and not inside ;) . Line of sight to the transmitter is a huge help in getting a good signal, having two leafs of brick / block wall in the way massively diminishes the signal and if you can get one at all it is often marginal.

Make an extension lead for your "main" aerial from the other side of the room out of good quality WF100 cable, rather than mucking around with indoor aerials, it'll be cheaper and work better.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It also depends on how far from the transmitter you are, I am close to mine about two miles and in full line of site so any cheap indoor aerial works and no one in the area has an outdoor aerial, however in my last property where the local tranmitter was over twentyfive miles away only an outdoor aerial would get reception.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would ask on AV Forum .
  • Topaz99
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I am thinking that an extension from our main aerial is the only solution at this point, However this is in another room completely and this would have to go into the kitchen?

I am not great at wiring, so just thinking if a professional could do this (if its possible?) and how much should I look at costings for this?

Thanks for your answers!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Topaz99 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

I am thinking that an extension from our main aerial is the only solution at this point, However this is in another room completely and this would have to go into the kitchen?

I am not great at wiring, so just thinking if a professional could do this (if its possible?) and how much should I look at costings for this?

Thanks for your answers!

Is it possible? Yes, no, maybe.

Nobody on a forum can guarantee anything I'm afraid. For instance the signal may be on the edge of acceptable in your front room, taking a feed off it for the kitchen may be enough to tip the balance and you'll end up with no signal anywhere. How much it would cost to wire in an extension is also subject to so many variables that you'll only get wild guesses on here.

Your best option may be to price up a new aerial installation just for the kitchen and leave the working one alone. Does the kitchen face in the same direction as the roof mounted aerials around you?
  • Topaz99
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. I think I'll have to get someone in to either, feed off the main aerial or indeed, take a split from the aerial into the house.

I can't think of any super-duper indoor aerial that is better than anything else that would boost this? (even though everything claims to be good as a sales point of view)
  • Spelunthus
    Spelunthus Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Indoor Aerials are very poor. You will need a very strong signal, and even then they are suseptible to people moving around in the room etc. The one that claim to "amplify" are even worse - because they amplify the noise and rubbish as well as the signal you are trying to use. Use a decent roof aerial. Any competent TV engineer can install a small distribution box in your loft, and drop down four, or more, standard aerial cables from it.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One other option would be to use a standalone Freeview receiver in the other room where the aerial point is, and a wireless AV sender to transmit the signal from there to the kitchen TV.

If you get a wireless video sender that can relay remote control signals back to the source then this will prevent you having to point the remote through the door to change channel.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    The point is that the higher the aerial the stronger the signal so if you are using an indoor aerial in a downstairs kitchen the signal strength will be a fraction of the signal strength h being received at your main aerial that is probably around 40foot above the ground.
    From memory I think signal strength drops by 50% for each 6 foot that the height is reduced.
    Add to this that digital transmitters have a relatively low output , possibly as low as 20kw whereas analogue channels were transmitted at something like 500,000 kw.
  • Topaz99
    Options
    Thanks for your help.

I probably need to get a professional in to evaluate the different options, of an outside aerial, or splitter inside off the main aerial and see what the costs are???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure