Tesco Direct TV repair

Options
2»

Comments

• stickgal
    stickgal Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same issue but bought from Currys PC World.
    C/PCw have said this is an issue with last nights software update and Rebster is correct: Unplug from the internet and the TV should work as a 'TV' for a short term fix. They are expecting Toshiba to release another update within 48 hours.

However, the standard amount of time for a 'fix' could be 28 days?
    Additionally, the CS agent was unsure if this fault could be considered within the SAD FART rules for goods as they classify it to be under the 'software' rules of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

See MSE: exchange/"]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/[/URL]

I wait to see what happens.....

Its worth noting the agent also told me that many 'cheap' (his words, not mine) TVs including Bush, JVC have had the same issue with the same update.

I'm sorry I can't help with the Tesco Direct side of your query but maybe search out Toshiba's UK helpline if you get no joy with TD? By all accounts it seems to be a known fault.
    I personally would assume that the 'Reasonable amount of time' you allude to would sit with the manufacturer anyway as you are beyond the Stat 12 months?

The new act has me somewhat befuddled although I did manage to get a refund on a dealership used car by using it...
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

TVs used to last 10+ years, so a TV lasting less than 2 years is not acceptable to me. If its acceptable to Toshiba, then I will not buy that brand again.

3 yrs for many TVs is about the norm now
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bermonia wrote: »
    If it is a software issue then a sotware update would hopefully be enough to rectify... simple fact is that the more we expect our TVs to do... the more there is to go wrong sadly.

This is from Tesco

Many thanks for your enquiry today. We are aware of the issue that was affecting Toshiba and Digihome TV’s restarting/turning themselves off and on. This was not a fault with the TV but Freeview Play. We have been assured that the issue has been resolved and so you should no longer be experiencing the fault.

Of course, if there still is a persistent issue, please let us know.

My fault did not go to a black screen similar to when there is no signal, it seemed like the TV was switching on and starting agian. I will see what develops.
  • jonnyd281
    jonnyd281 Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Thanks, I am not on twitter.

It has only just started, a software issue did cross my mind; I did try the old trick of unplugging, but that didnt work.

TVs used to last 10+ years, so a TV lasting less than 2 years is not acceptable to me. If its acceptable to Toshiba, then I will not buy that brand again.

Unfortunately unless people want to pay an absolute fortune for products, then some are always going to fail prematurely, there is a thing called a bathtub curve, it can be used to model failure, you get lots of failures early on (usually cleared by testing in the factory) then get some failures during the working life of the product (but relatively few), then the number of failures starts to increase as you get to the end of the working life of something. The chart (years against failures) looks like the cross section of a bath.

As things become more complex, the cost of making them more robust is going to increase.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    They were just a brand of Tesco Stores Limited who, obviously, still exist. The fact they're no longer selling stuff as Tesco Direct doesn't affect the OP's rights.

But as the item is over six months old, the onus is now on the OP to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of sale.

Re read my comment and you will see it was more a comment at the OP thinking TD were still trading.

Im quite aware it was just a brand of Tesco Stores Ltd who still exist.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Re read my comment and you will see it was more a comment at the OP thinking TD were still trading.

Im quite aware it was just a brand of Tesco Stores Ltd who still exist.

Yes, but I assumed their comment was because they thought it would adversely affect their rights if they weren't still trading, so thought it best to clarify for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure