Tesco Credit Card Application and Cancellation

Options
I was looking at balance transfer cards and applied for a Tesco Credit Card.

I completed all the fields required for a credit check. At this stage, all I knew was the card offered rates *from x%.

After the credit check, there was an offer for a card but with an increased balance transfer rate (I can't remember specifically but say it went from 0% to 3% fee for instance).

Since it was no longer competitive, I did not click on (I can't remember if it was...) SUBMIT or CONFIRM. I just closed the browser tab.

A few days later I received a bunch of Tesco CC T&Cs and a form saying my card is "just a signature away".

I contacted the Tesco Bank on twitter (@tescobankhelp) and was told that if I didn't do anything, the application would be cancelled in 30 days. However, if I want to cancel it before that, I would have to call them.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but;

- I don't think I should have to call them as I never confirmed or accepted the offer

- I find it so frustrating to go through a load of options on a call, only to then be held in a queue (it always happens!), go through a security check process and then justify why I don't want a card.

Is it just me that would find this frustrating? All thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    In terms of suggestions, there is not much that can be said. Either wait until the application is closed or contact them for this to be done sooner.

You did not sign a credit agreement, hence their request for a signature, however proceeded to the last step of the application process. As a business, it is not uncommon for them to chase it up. It is the flow of things in this area.

You will not be able to remove the credit search, in case this was in mind, since a full search and an application are independent from each other, regardless of outcome.

I would call them, wait out the queue and have it closed. Or, wait until the deadline. You can delete any marketing correspondence from them in the meantime.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sorry OP I don't see what your problem is, and neither would I have phoned them had I like you not completed the application by submitting it.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    just wait 30 days and it will cancel itself, I don't see the frustration in any of that
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are making a mountain out of a molehill. You've partially completed an application, you did this, no-one else. Just wait 30 days if you don't want the hassle of calling them.

Life is too short to be worrying about such mundane issues.
  • Elika0215
    Elika0215 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I said, all thoughts welcome and telling me that I'm overreacting has
    actually helped. I'll take a deep breath and move on.

Thanks for keeping it polite too.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I would like to add that perhaps you have acted hastily in rejecting this card. You obviously need to transfer a balance or you would not have applied for a balance transfer card.
    You were hoping for a no fee card but were instead offered one with a fee which you didn't want as you felt that it was not competitive.
    So what are you going to do instead? Continue to pay interest on the balance that you wanted to transfer? If Tesco have declined a 0 fee card, why do you think you will get one elsewhere? Have you applied elsewhere and been accepted for a no fee card?
  • Elika0215
    Elika0215 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I would like to add that perhaps you have acted hastily in rejecting this card. You obviously need to transfer a balance or you would not have applied for a balance transfer card.
    You were hoping for a no fee card but were instead offered one with a fee which you didn't want as you felt that it was not competitive.
    So what are you going to do instead? Continue to pay interest on the balance that you wanted to transfer? If Tesco have declined a 0 fee card, why do you think you will get one elsewhere? Have you applied elsewhere and been accepted for a no fee card?

Thank you. I applied with Sainsburys Bank and they did give me a 0% fee.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Elika0215 wrote: »
    Thank you. I applied with Sainsburys Bank and they did give me a 0% fee.
    Good for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport