carers allowance

Options
I have been spending time going through all of the relevant questions and answers on here and came across a reply from someone called alice holt.
She mentions as do others that if you get a benefit for a disability you can get somebody to claim carers allowance for helping out.
Does this allowance apply to husband and wife if they live together?
How do you prove what the help is and more importantly the number of hours if you live with then day and night?
I've looked on the CAB website and it says that the help cannot contradict the reason you claim the disability benefits for.
I would have thought that living together like this would automatically raise questions by the DWP. Then end up with the disability benefit being disputed. How do you solve that problem?

Comments

• PLYSU
    PLYSU Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Danday. Yes if you live together you can claim this benefit. It is paid to the carer if you look after them 30 hours each week. Depending on what you already receive, you might not get the actual allowance but you might get a premium on top of your other benefits. You don't have to prove what care you provide, but you have to be caring for the person for at least 30 hours each week. They have to get DLA or PIP. Hope this helps and I am sure you will get more advice soon.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    PLYSU wrote: »
    Hi Danday. Yes if you live together you can claim this benefit. It is paid to the carer if you look after them 30 hours each week. Depending on what you already receive, you might not get the actual allowance but you might get a premium on top of your other benefits. You don't have to prove what care you provide, but you have to be caring for the person for at least 30 hours each week. They have to get DLA or PIP. Hope this helps and I am sure you will get more advice soon.

It's a minimum of 35 hours a week, and there are other conditions as well. You can't earn more than £116 a week and you can't be a full time student. The cared for person must receive the care component of PIP, and either the middle or higher rate care component of DLA.

You can claim it is you fulfill the conditions, even if you are a close family member living in the same house.

If you are claiming disability benefits, you cannot claim if they contradict your own claim. For example, if you receive points on PIP for being unable to cook for yourself, you cannot then claim to cook for the person you care for - after all, you could then cook for yourself as well.

More information here:
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance
  • PLYSU
    Options
    Typo that said 30. I knew I would get dug up.
  • PLYSU
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

Sorry but sending someone to a link is not helpful. Please refrain from doing this. THANK YOU.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PLYSU wrote: »
    Sorry but sending someone to a link is not helpful. Please refrain from doing this. THANK YOU.

Unbelievable!

Excellent link and saves me explaining about the OP and wife claiming state pension and CA.

Why must we refrain from sending someone to a link? Please explain.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the links are extremely helpful, please keep them, what's eating you today plysu? You have been using shouty capital letters in most of your posts.
  • PLYSU
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Unbelievable!

Excellent link and saves me explaining about the OP and wife claiming state pension and CA.

Why must we refrain from sending someone to a link? Please explain.

Because the person deserves more than a link.
  • PLYSU
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    I think the links are extremely helpful, please keep them, what's eating you today plysu? You have been using shouty capital letters in most of your posts.

Hi there. I didn't mean to be SHOUTY sorry. Are you monitoring my posts?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No not monitoring, your posts were "standing out" due to the fact you were using capitals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure