PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting Rid of Difficult Lodgers - Please Help!

Options

Comments

• saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I think it depends a little whether bills were everr mentioned. If you riased the issue then I don't think itwould be unreasonable to expect them to pay spm,ething, even if you had never discussed the spoecifcs. If is was never mentioned at all then I on't think you can legitimately charge. (It's also worth bearing in mind that a second person sharing won't add much to the bills - ou weren't heting or lighting an extra room. Did you actual bills go up at all after she moved in?

Regading the locks, I think it is fair to say that you will charge them for changing the locks if the keys are not returned and also that they haven't technically moved out as longas they are holding on to the keys, so you will also deduct rent for the period until the keys are returned. - This is overreaching- its one or the other

in future, even with friends, have somthing in writing.

If you’re arguing the lodging continues, then you can continue to charge rent (deducting from deposit if unpaid) but must then allow access to the room etc. The lodger has every right to keep the keys and you cannot claim for the new locks. This may not be prudent as OP wants to end the relationship and move on, plus the deposit will run out soon!

If you’re agreeing the lodging has ended but the lodger has breached an agreement to return the keys, your loss is the cost of changing the locks. You have a duty to mitigate your losses by doing this proactively, and cannot linger while charging the lodger rent!

You can charge for one or the other, not both. In fact I suspect you'd have a hard time arguing the the rent is reasonable given as your communication will likely suggest the lodging has ended.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What's that saying about if you lend a friend £20 and never see it or them again, you got a bargain!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    this is why money and friends don't mix, you got taken for a ride I'm afraid.

Nothing personal but it's business
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need help. It's fairly simple.

You say 'return the keys and you will get your deposit. If you don't do this by say, next Friday, you'll get your deposit back minus £x to change the locks'

Even easier, return the deposit in full and spend a couple quid changing the locks regardless.

This is not a difficult situation. You're making it difficult by trying to keep money you never made an agreement over and are therefore not entitled to.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given there is no legal reason to record the deposit with a scheme but you don't really want a prolonged fight either you might deduct the cost of changing the locks and any other costs you have incurred, itemise them and return the rest. The incentive to take you to the small claims court will be quite weak.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CVP wrote: »
    I don't so much as sleep on a friend's sofa for a weekend without repaying the kindness, so I would never dream of living somewhere for months without paying anything. Lesson learned.

People are different.. Among my friends / colleagues, I don't so much as dream to charge nor offer to pay for the utilities usage / wear and tear / food consumed / toilteries used etc when at a friend's. However friendly you were, it is still a business relationship and you must have a clear agreement if you expect payment. In fact I'd say it is MORE important with friends as a disagreeement on what's 'fair' after the fact can ruin the relationship and there's more "how could he/she do that?!" feeling.

Think about it another way.

You phone a plumber to come out your house to look at a leak, without discussing prices, he comes, does it, and then invoices you

Do you have to pay?

Of course you do, the expectation that you would pay for goods and services you use is customary, so doesn't always need to be explicit.

The lodger hasn't refused to pay entirely, just the add on. There is a degree of 'all inclusivity' with rents (we're not counting lengths of showers or numbers of flushes or number of devices that can be plugged in etc). It is therefore reasonable to assume the lodger didn't expect to pay for an extra person when its the same room (so lights, heating, tv usage is likely unchanged).

It's like the plumber gave a firm quote which you agreed with and during the job, you requested to change the position of something which required more pipe. Can they charge more without specifying this especially if a price was already agreed?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What's to say they return keys and not made copies, changing them for security is safer anyway.

As for payment, this should have been at the start, not months down the line.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any news OP ?
  • CVP
    CVP Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I've returned the deposit, and have been asked to send copies of the bills to the girlfriend so she can see what she owes...although she was already trying to work this out by excluding any time she was away from the flat. Sigh.

The plot thickens with the remaining two lodgers: I found out by pure coincidence that the four girls had been looking to move out all together (giving me 3 days' notice instead of the month in the written agreements these two do have) to share a house nearby. It fell through because they couldn't afford it. I think I will have to ask them to leave now too, as clearly they are not to be trusted. Shame.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    CVP wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I've returned the deposit, and have been asked to send copies of the bills to the girlfriend so she can see what she owes...although she was already trying to work this out by excluding any time she was away from the flat. Sigh.

The plot thickens with the remaining two lodgers: I found out by pure coincidence that the four girls had been looking to move out all together (giving me 3 days' notice instead of the month in the written agreements these two do have) to share a house nearby. It fell through because they couldn't afford it. I think I will have to ask them to leave now too, as clearly they are not to be trusted. Shame.

Why are you sighing? She never agreed to anything.

And on that note, I think it's best you stay away from lodgers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure