Obsessed

Options
I have been saving hard for the past two years and managed to fill up my S&S ISA's for 2016/17 and 2017/18, buy a house with my partner, develop an emergency fund as well as maximising contributions at work for pension / share save schemes etc.

I now find myself only wanting to save money and not spending any on myself or my partner / family as 'enjoyment' as I see it almost as a waste when I could be investing it.

Examples are I will be receiving a bonus at the end of this month from work and I would love to change my car (currently have a cheap run-around) but cannot justify spending 3-4K on a 'new' one. My partner keep saying she would love a new bed, yet I see it as a 'waste of money'.

How do you breakdown what is worth spending money on and what isn't?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 8:49PM
    Options
    You save and spend in line with your priorities. If you are reasonably putting enough aside to repay your mortgage and retire comfortably then it's ok to spend some money along the way. Sometimes your partner has different priorities to you so you need to try and see it from their perspective to understand the value.

Personally I think a good bed is a sound investment. We bought a solid oak bed (direct from wholesaler not at retail prices) about 5 years ago and I haven't regretted it once and hope it lasts a very long time. When you learn too much about what ends up in mattresses you will realise they are worth replacing too.

Alex
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    geeovana wrote: »
    I have been saving hard for the past two years and managed to fill up my S&S ISA's for 2016/17 and 2017/18, buy a house with my partner, develop an emergency fund as well as maximising contributions at work for pension / share save schemes etc.

I now find myself only wanting to save money and not spending any on myself or my partner / family as 'enjoyment' as I see it almost as a waste when I could be investing it.

Examples are I will be receiving a bonus at the end of this month from work and I would love to change my car (currently have a cheap run-around) but cannot justify spending 3-4K on a 'new' one. My partner keep saying she would love a new bed, yet I see it as a 'waste of money'.

I used to spend 10% of my net bonus on something nice each year. As it has increased over the years, I cut that back, but nowadays instead set aside an amount in an account that is purely for unnecessary things. It pays for the car upgrades, a nice watch, or, last year, a posh clock.

This means that I never touch the money that I have earmarked for normal bills, living, emergency fund, investments etc.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    geeovana wrote: »
    . My partner keep saying she would love a new bed, yet I see it as a 'waste of money'.

Assuming she's going to be 'enjoying' the new bed with you? Take such opportunities when you're young and able. There's nothing chivalrous or gloat-worthy about slumming it so that you're able to afford the most expensive pyjamas in the nursing home.

Besides, a bed is something you spend about a third of your life in and is much cheaper than a car.

Congratulations on your other saving and investing achievements and it's great that you're financially 'on track'.

The way I'd look at it is: over recent years you really *had* to save a lot because there were things you needed rather than wanted. Maslow came up with a "heirarchy of needs" where food and shelter are quite important whereas Truck Nutz, not so much. But basically it sounds like you didn't have a good emergency fund, you didn't have a house with your partner, weren't maxing your wealth-generating investments at work, didn't have a couple of years' worth of stacked investment ISAs, etc. So you maxed the savings to cover those 'basics' - you can think of them as basics on a long road to a happy middle age and retirement.

Whereas now, you already have the basics covered and if you've managed to max all your ISAs out at the same time as sharesaves and so on and building up emergency funds then presumably you have a pretty decent income. [maybe high rate tax? If so, consider more private pension ahead of more ISA]. What you have to consider next is what are you using that decent income *for*. Why work at all?

You can start from the far end and plan backwards from what you want/need to retire on, to what that costs you now to invest for it. And what other life goals you have on a shorter term basis but still pretty long term- kids, home upgrades, travel, settling a chunk of mortgage when interest rates rise and you want a lower LTV, etc - and what it costs to start saving/investing towards those things, and how they could be funded.

Presuming you are putting money away monthly for that sort of stuff on top of the money you need for bills and short-to-medium term home maintenance etc, and you still have money left over - spend it. Why else earn it? If you don't want the money, take an easier or more rewarding job that pays less.

Sounds like you are in the 'habit' of wanting to save which is no bad thing - always nicer to have more put away than you need, than less. But perhaps a shift of mentality is needed from "must save everything as need emergency fund and property and pension and ISA and to maximise work benefits" to, "OK, this over here is what I *need* to spend or save and it doesn't cost all I earn so this is what's nice to have now or at the end of the month, quarter, year, next birthday for her or him, etc.".

To go back to an earlier point:

Beds and mattresses depreciate from being great at the start to being unusable at the end. But if you plotted them on a graph they would flatline for a very long time before expiring. The trick is not to have a crap bed for those last five years and then buy a new one and be saying *'!*# why didn't we do this years ago. Instead, do it years ago.

Are you still in a king or double because you couldn't fit a superkingsize in your last property and didn't have an emergency fund or maxed pensions so couldn't justify it? Now you have forty grand of investment ISAs and soon you will have a respectable plan for what to do with future money you earn. So, if you don't buy a big and comfy bed for top-notch sleeptime and sexytime, you're doing life wrong.

All IMHO etc.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll spend far longer in the bed than you will the car. The bed is far cheaper and more importantly will improve the quality of your sleep.
    Somethings are worth paying out for. Likewise pillows. Everybodys tastes being different.
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    For the bed, even though you see it as a waste of money, you have to consider your partner's feelings on that. Also, a bed isn't that expensive in the scheme of things considering how much time you spend in it and how long it will (hopefully) last.
    OTOH, if you're happy enough with your car and it gets you from A to B, maybe it would be a waste to change it. It will also cost considerably more than a bed, probably last a shorter amount of time and depreciate in value quickly.
  • TheLastMongoose
    Options
    Well done on your saving. I think it's important to try and keep perspective on these things. I don't like spending money either but when I have to or when my partner wants to I try and remember that the majority of the population have no savings and stupidly expensive mobile phone contracts, car finance agreements etc. that they cant afford.

In my opinion both of the purchases you describe sound reasonable if you don't need the money for anything else. Maintaining an old car can be just as costly as buying a new one anyway.

Maybe you could open a regular saver or easy access savings account that you can pay in to monthly with the specific purpose of spending the money on bigger purchases that would otherwise make you uneasy. Maybe once you got in to the mindset that the money in that account is for spending you wouldn't feel so bad parting with it?
  • westy23
    westy23 Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have been a moderate saver for over 40 years but we never went without and have had plenty of holidays, new cars, motorcycles and treated our sons financially very well.
    It’s all about a happy balance.
    Wife now in hospital fighting ovarian cancer and two brain Cavernomas.
    Just glad we spent what we did while we could and enjoyed life.
    Enjoy spending as who knows what’s around the corner.
    My advice for most people is save a little spend a lot.
    Because despite what anyone tells you we get one chance at it.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can sleep in a car, but you can't race a bed....

I've had a recent mindset shift where I'm getting a little bit that way, and my partner is pushing for me to open up the purse-strings a little. There is a happy medium, but money is there to be enjoyed (whether that's instant or deferred gratification is up to you), but if you're filling your ISA's I'd suggest a bed and "new" car to replace the runaround should definitely be done, but that's just me, and as you can see from my signature - I'm only planning on actually saving £6k this year (plus AVCs).
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your bed is old (by bed I mean mattress) get a new one.

A better night's sleep is priceless.

AS for car, I get you. I saved 500 a month into reg saver to replace my car for cash. but I was putting 3 thru university. We kept putting it off as I basically didnt want to spend all that money.

We finally bought 'new' cars last year (both 2 years old) but we did put it off for years until our cars were 17 and 14 years old. WE ended up doing it as the 17 yr old one was too expensive to repair at its service.

That basically kicked us into gear. Spending nearly 30K was painful at first, but in the end we are building up new savings even faster and have made up quite a bit.

You do need to spend sometime, but do it carefully and wisely.
  • nb73
    nb73 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Buying a new bed is a big decision.

I think you should sleep on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts