Who provides the least involved switches?

Options
I have a number of accounts I'm looking to close, switching is an easier solution than writing a letter/visiting branch to formally close. I have done switches before, some require several calls, etc. First Direct was the worst, numerous calls and letters.

Which banks provide simplest of switches, preferably all handled online with a single application without having to follow up, return signed letters, etc. etc.

Comments

• retrieverjc
    Options
    In my experience, Starling allows you to switch all from within the app. Nationwide lets you switch from within online banking. TSB, Lloyds, Halifax and NatWest all allow you to complete a switching form online without logging into online banking.

Others may be able to provide much better details but I hope that helps! :)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I closed a number of current accounts by switching them into an existing NatWest current account. Requests filed online, switches worked like clockwork. I would expect it to work similarly with any other bank where you have an existing current account.

Make sure you have exhausted all your switching offers before you do any switch without a switching incentive
  • retrieverjc
    Options
    TL;DR Make sure to use one of Nationwide/Lloyd!!!8217;s/Halifax/TSB/NatWest if you have an account with them!

I!!!8217;m afraid I!!!8217;m still getting used to this forum and am unable to reply to the poster above due to my own ineptitude. (Clicking the quote button does nothing for me but I!!!8217;m very likely doing something wrong!)

NatWest and the others I!!!8217;ve mentioned all do provide this service. However as you!!!8217;ve found, OP, first direct does not, and for what it!!!8217;s worth I think this is the same with M&S and HSBC. The end result should obviously be the same but as you say it is worth seeking out banks that offer an online form rather than a long-winded phone call.

I!!!8217;m not personally aware of any other banks that offer this quick switching method for existing customers. I actually contacted MSE pointing out how useful this feature is with NatIonwide and suggested they make people aware but I heard nothing. Hopefully this information will be provided by banks following the FCA!!!8217;s review: https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-consult-new-rules-current-account-providers-publish-information-service-performance
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Both First Direct and HSBC do offer an online switching form/service. They ask for a copy of your signature to be returned by post, but nothing else.
  • retrieverjc
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Both First Direct and HSBC do offer an online switching form/service. They ask for a copy of your signature to be returned by post, but nothing else.

Please could you let me know where I can use an online form to switch into an existing HSBC current account? Thanks!
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Please could you let me know where I can use an online form to switch into an existing HSBC current account? Thanks!

I may have misled you. I was talking about switching to a new account. I am unsure about switching into an existing account. Sorry.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First Direct and M&S were more than just returning signature. It required several calls including listening to the customer service read out loud the T&Cs and for me to confirm.

I haven't got Natwest. I don't want to switch to Lloyds, I have them but they never get anything right.

My preferred options are: Santander, Nationwide, Tesco, Barclays. If none of these are hassle free (require calls and returning paper) then it will have to be Halifax or TSB.

edit: this is to switch several accounts to an existing account, not opening a new one.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You could just try switching one account and see how it goes if it's hassle free then switch the rest otherwise if you have problems choose another bank!
  • retrieverjc
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    First Direct and M&S were more than just returning signature. It required several calls including listening to the customer service read out loud the T&Cs and for me to confirm.

I haven't got Natwest. I don't want to switch to Lloyds, I have them but they never get anything right.

My preferred options are: Santander, Nationwide, Tesco, Barclays. If none of these are hassle free (require calls and returning paper) then it will have to be Halifax or TSB.

edit: this is to switch several accounts to an existing account, not opening a new one.

I switched 3 accounts at once into my Nationwide a/c, so that would be my recommendation. It took me all of about 5 minutes :)
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I switched 3 accounts at once into my Nationwide a/c, so that would be my recommendation. It took me all of about 5 minutes :)

Thanks given for a relevant answer. I will go with Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure