PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do you do to move out and in in the same day?

Options

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My packers took the stuff in their van back to their depot and came back the next day (day of the move) and added the last min stuff (sofa/bed, etc).

For what you'll pay in transport and storage, it might be worth looking into a packing and taking away option. I bet it'll be cheaper. Mine did not charge for the storage. Saying that, they'd always packed it all up and left it in situ previously. Maybe it's cos I had a lot of stuff and a fairly small house and it was easier for them to get some of it on the van already rather than packing it all into the van the day of the move.

You might find one that offers the same.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • skint_chick
    Options
    Last time I moved I packed essentials - lunch, toilet roll, basic toiletries, clothes for the next day, cleaning materials, bin liners, old clothes for cleaning, drinks and snacks, bedsheets and duvet etc into the car. Basically everything I needed to manage that night and get up the next day without having to unpack any boxes, but still be able to clean the new place and dress myself. If you have kids make sure you have pyjamas, favourite toys, things to keep them busy, snacks, baby wipes etc in the car too. I just did my usual clean of the house the day before moving, and then a quick hoover and wipe round before. If you've already cleaned carpets and floors and packed all your stuff it should just be a matter of a quick hoover where furniture was or quick wipe of a shelf. The removal firm usually arrive about 8/8.30. Your stuff should already be in boxes, the few things that you need that morning should be in your bag/boxes in your car anyway because you're likely to need them quickly at the other end.

When you arrive if there's cleaning to be done start with what you need to use first - toilet and kitchen sink. Then I would do the kids bedrooms/living room so they have somewhere to play quietly while you get on with the rest of the house. I cleaned the toilet and bathroom first, then my bedroom because I knew after all the cleaning I would want to have a shower and go to bed!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You are in no way obligated to clean the property at all. In fact some of the properties I've purchased over the years looked like they hadn't been touched in a decade :)

If you have the spare time then it's obviously a nice thing to do, but if you don't have time then don't worry about it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Packing should start the day you decide you want to move, it won't be much to start with but as you go through stuff it will fall into one of three+ categories, the main ones -

I use this all the time.
    I need to keep, but don't need it for now.
    Why am I keeping this?

The last you have time to decide and it moves up a level or goes out.
    leave it to that last week and it comes with you.

The middle one, you start to collect together and get into boxes for the stuff you don't think you will need inventory and marked up so if you do need something you can find.

The top level will contain stuff you think you use but don't as much or can do without for a while, get it packed.

get the that's the place we hide stuff worked over early,for houses that's often the loft.

Find all the packing for the fragile and funny shapes, original if you have it, TV, electronics etc, much better packed in what they came in.

BY exchange you should have a good idea of what you have and where your extra packing material will be coming from.

If using flatpack make sure you have enough tape and a decent dispenser.

Boxes are all about the right sizes and being able to stack
    don't over pack(weight), things like books and linen get very heavy so smaller boxes.

Bin liners make good vacuum bags for short term
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's been said, but I'm going to join the chorus. You don't need to clean. This isn't like renting. The contract only requires that you leave the property "vacant" - you can't leave anything behind that isn't part of the house/flat or on the fixtures/fittings list. But dust? Dirt on the windows? That sort of thing? Not a problem. Nice people do clean a bit, but it's a rare person indeed who leaves the place spotless.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can afford to have the movers do the packing, do that. When I moved, they came the night before and did everything except for a bed, chair & TV and one box of kitchen essentials. Which meant I could use that evening to clean, and that getting out the following morning was quick and easy.

If that's not an option, start packing now, box up non-essentials. Label each box with the room it is due to go into, and consider putting a number on each box, and keeping a list as you go along of what (roughly) is in each box.

Also - be ruthless about throwing stuff out!

When moving day gets closer, make a list of essentials to *not* pack - this would include a bag with clothes for each person, your hoover and other cleaning materials, bedding, and enough crockery and cutlery to use.

Then start packing everything else. One room at a time probably works best, and have a carrier bag or small box in each room for stuff you can't pack - for clothes for instance, you can keep out enough or a couple of weeks, as you would if you were going on holiday, and pack the rest.

For the kitchen, keep meals simple and pack up most of your crockery etc. This also allows you to clean as you go.

On moving day, put the stuff you need accessible in your car, if you have one, so you have the box with the kettle, mugs and tea bags in, the hoover, a bag of clothes each etc in your possession. If this is not possible, then put big, brightly coloured post-its on those things saying 'DO NOT PACK'.

If you can enlist a friend or family member to look after your child during the move, do so.

Paying for storage could work but don't forget that you have to pack and move stuff into storage, so it probably own't save you much time, so unless you want things out of the way to let you do a really deep clean on the new house, it may be easier to spend the money on getting the movers to pack!

When I did it, the way it worked was that the movers charge for the boxes they use, but then I had up to 6 months to return them, and they refunded the cost of all the returned boxes. (If you emptied them all at once, they would come back to pick them up, but they'd only make one trip, so if you wanted to return them in waves, you had to drop them of yourself after the first time.)

I ended up keeping some of the boxes, mostly because I have a *lot* of books, and it takes ages to unpack them all, but I returned all the other boxes.

I think when they quote you, they take into account the fact that if they pack, they get boxes of uniform size to stack up, and that he boxes will be well packed and the right size for the weight of their contents, so it makes loading and unloading easier, so although they spend extra time doing the packing, they can then load up the van more efficiently
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I wish I'd bought a house from someone who cared enough to even do a brief clean let alone a deep clean involving windows! I bought both my houses from filthy people who hadn't cleaned for months prior to me moving in and I don't think either made a habit of regular cleaning even before they sold. Thankfully I didn't need to move into either straight away so could deep clean the place and shampoo carpets (I wouldn't have walked into either without my shoes on it was that gross).

So well done to all these people caring enough to clean before they vacate :-)

This! When I last moved house I cleaned my old house within an inch!

When I got to my new house I took 2 weeks cleaning it! Ketchup on the walls. They left the fire dirty (open fire). Even though there was GSH which was mysteriously drained but worked fine.

Also every shelf in the house was gone! Probably what was in the fire! most odd, but saved me removing the ugly things I guess!

I also left a bottle of champagne for the new owners. But hey!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Two moves ago, we paid for packing as well as removal. One move ago, we (mostly OH) panicked and did it ourselves. Which was better? Two moves ago, for many reasons but certainly because of that.

OP, you are moving from a two bedroom flat, not Downton Abbey; you can do this. Some of us move from a huge detached to a tiny semi and still do it all on the same day... And wish to this day we had paid for packing.

HTH, good luck with your move and I hope you will be happy in your new home.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I moved my then two cats about 70 miles One of them was violently car sick half way down. And, then, a warning light came on in the car. I've never been so glad to get anywhere. Fortunately, the warning light wasn't anything serious!

Yet another vote for a packing service. I don't have that much furniture and, given they did the packing the day before, they were in and out quickly. Good job, too, because my buyers removal van was waiting. I followed in the car with the cats and various items I was going to need when I got there.

By the time I got the keys the removal guys were already here. They unpacked almost as quickly as they had loaded. I had a cuppa and a bite to eat (and cleaned up the cat!) and went to bed. Did the sorting out the next day.

I moved over ten years ago and still have some stuff in boxes.

I tried Feliway this time and it seemed to work, scarcely a squeak out of her the whole journey.:)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tealady wrote: »
    I would add to that list loo paper,soap and a towel.
    Also pack a complete change of clothers for every one (ready for the next day).
    When you do move in make sure the beds are made asap, nothing worse than being ready for bed after a busy day and it isn't made.

Things like phone charger would be handy too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure