SOA, help please!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First thing I'm going to say is go to the link in my signature (or in the sticky post at the top of the board) and fill in the SOA calculator that we recommend from Stoozing.com - it means there's less risk of things getting missed and more requirement for getting fine detail in - which again makes you think more about where money is actually going.

I'll comment in red as usual on your post below but I suspect the full SOA might be more practical use to you, going forwards.
    stinabean wrote: »
    Hiya

So we're definitely spending more than we earn as we're both constantly, more me than the OH, in our overdrafts.

Basic SOA below. Have not included things like clothes, prescriptions etc as these just don't currently happen. You don't wear clothes? That must make life interesting! ;) Seriously - you need to budget something for clothing, even if just "socks & pants" money for adults and basic essentials for children.A lot of kids clothes past underwear can be bought second hand from charity shops or even eBay for pennies, which is a help. We also don't save up for the MOT etc and we have to scrabble for the money when it comes around - obviously I'd love to change this but need to crush some of this debt first. No - wrong way of thinking about it. You can't crush the debt until you start to budget properly. The budget is the first step, sticking to it is the second, paying off the debt, bizarrely as it sounds, can't happen properly until you have the first two bits in place.

My salary - £1,262, will change to 1,350 in Jan 2020 Every little helps but right now, it is as it is.
    Partners salary - £1,250 Can either of these salaries be increased at all
    Benefits - £80 On that income are you sure this is all you're entitled to? Is the figure correct too - that sounds like a very "round" amount.
    Total - £2,592

Monthly Outgoings:

Mortgage/Rent - £574.82
    Council Tax - £125 Do you pay this over 12 months or the default 10? If 10 then get it swapped to 12 months, that will help with budgeting.
    Water - £24
    Gas - £20
    Electric - £40 How do you heat your home? This electricity is high for people who use gas for heating.
    TV License - £12.88
    Phone - £29 (this is both contracts) Either of you getting close to end of contract so can switch to cheap SIM only?
    Food - £300 (this is approx what we spend, willpower needed to shrink it down) Forget the willpower and just shrink it - a family of 4 can live on a good deal less than that. Analyse what sort of foods you spend on and work out where savings can be made, make sure you use the cheapy supermarkets where you can and plan meals around what is seasonal, plentiful and cheap.
    Petrol - £40
    Life Insurance £27.95
    Home Insurance - £22
    Car tax - £17.06
    Car insurance - £35.51
    Car - £219.87
    Virgin - £78.87 – contract ends Aug and can't wait Riung them 30 days ahead of the end of the contract and give notice that you're leaving at contract end - and refuse to accept anything than the rock bottom deal (check what the best basic deal new customers are being offered if you want to stay with them). That way the new price will kick in as soon as the contract ends. Look to ditch any paid TV packages and go freeview.
    Netflix - £9.99 Definitely ditch the paid TV package above - I'd lose this too if I were you.
    Spotify - £10 Just cancel it - if you're in your OD then you're spending money that isn't yours on this.
    PSN - £6.99 What's this? Can it be cancelled?
    Vets - £14 is this is lieu of pet insurance?
    Childcare - £735 (this varies, so have gone with the most expensive month) Ouch. There's painful. make sure that on the cheaper months you pay any surplus from this against debt.

Total: £2,342.94

Debts
    Boiler – 83.33 till dec 2019
    Windows - £39.10 till 2022

= £122.43 out

= £2,465.37 total

Credit cards:
    MBNA - £28 a month, owe £1,568.13 (me) You need the interest rates on all of these cards, or if they are on 0% deals, a note of when those will finish.
    Halifax - £41 a month, owe £1633.98 (me)
    Barclays - £29 a month, owe £1147.31 (me)

Barclays - £22 a month, owe £948.15 (OH)
    Lloyds - £20 a month, owe £1,950 (OH)

= £140

Total outgoings - £2,605.37

So monthly we are short by an average, as childcare changes per month, of £13.37.

It doesn't seem much to be in the red, however I would love to have some "spare" money to throw at credit cards.

I know things like Spotify, PSN etc aren't needed. This is my OH and as he doesn't get to spend on himself, this is it for him. But he doesn't have the money for it, does he? When you have money, you get to use that money on the frilly, fluffy stuff. when you don't, you can't - to put it bluntly - keep spending on those things. It just doesn't work that way.
    Will be cancelling Virgin next month as the contract ends in Aug.
    Can't downsize the car as we need a big car with a baby and a dog, all our family lives 4 hours away so large car to carry all our stuff. how large is large? You could get all of the above and some luggage in something the size of my Renault Clio easily while the child is smaller. Ford focus is a "family car" for your size of family - people carrier or SUV? Bigger than needed.

Any tips? I'm also looking for a second job but is proving difficult.

Please be kind, and sorry for rambling.

OK - so the task to start with is to pick up on the expenses you've missed, many of which have already been mentioned, and then to work out where you can save on those you know about.

Cutting back to a basic Phone/internet package and changing the deal regularly could gain you £590 a month. Get your OH to choose between the entertainment stuff - Netflix OR spotify (but tell him that it's easier to keep small people quiet with netflix - just saying) that ticks the entertainment box as yes, you do BOTH need some entertainment.

Budgeting for stuff like car repairs etc will help you in the long term so use some of the money you save from cutting the groceries spend down for that. Use some more to start an emergency fund.

I assume your housing cost is mortgage as you're paying life insurance and the home insurance cost suggests building & contents, plus the spends for windows/boiler. That makes an emergency fund a necessity for you, so definitely focus on starting that. Similarly unless you don't mark christmas at all (or any other festivity in its place), you do need to set aside at least enough to cover the basics that you ARE going to spend. It's coming, it'll always be coming, and you may as well work with it rather than it hitting you in the pocket at the time. As children get older not doing christmas also becomes less of an option, remember.

Increasing income is the best way out of this, without wishing to be rude, why are you both on quite such low incomes? is there any way you can improve on this - ie working less than full time hours an increase to F/T for example? You've said you're looking for a second job but what about your OH? His earnings are currently lower than yours - is there anything he can do to increase his contribution? As someone else says it's by far the easiest way to make an impact on your debts and in the longer term, improve your quality of life.

Don't be too despairing - your situation is definitely not the worst we've seen and IS fixable, with some work and a few sacrifices. :beer:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Life insurance is pretty steep - are you sure you need it? How old are you and your partner?

If they have a mortgage then it's sensible to have it - there's a child involved too, remember.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your child care costs are excessive. How old is the child? No chance of home/ flexible working? Have you checked your childcare entitlement?

If one of you became a stay at home parent ( the lower salary), you will probably be better off after the universal credit and childcare saving...
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you checked that you definately cant do any voucher/taxfree children or benefit claims for childcare costs. At a guess i would say you are suffering partly due to childcare fees as you still arent yet used to having to budget them and also car costs. Im guessing little one is one year or under due to your exempt nhs card. Child care costs will blow any budget out of the water trust me. Now is the time to cut down on everything else before your debt total spirals. I had debt pre kids but it at least doubled possibly trippled in the aftermath of the little people arriving. And this was on normal life costs not luxury...
    Car netflix food bills etc all need to be cut if you can -sorry.
    The good news though is its nearly august. After that its nearly december which will free up another 80 pounds. You need to set some aside for clothes,repairs, gifts, medicines though. Perhaps do a soa based on being really frugal to see if you can make it to dec.
    Do you pay interest on the debts?
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 15.5k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you work from home full time why spend £700 a month on childcare? Could you reduce it a bit?
  • Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would you spend £700 on childcare when you only earn £1250? Even if you got an evening job working part time around your partner you would only need to earn £550 a month, roughly 16 hours a week that would be at minimum wage and you would get more
    Time with your child.

I have never paid for childcare, I couldn’t bare the thought of my babies being looked after by other people except my family and it makes my eyes water what people pay! Also with that income you should get universal credit to cover child care if you do want to pay that much and work full time? Have you looked into it at all? Have a look on entitled to website.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As you are working from home, how fixed are your work hours? If you moved as much of your work as possible to when your partner is home then could you save on childcare?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • stinabean
    stinabean Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies and ideas, I want to respond to them all but it's too difficult to do on my phone. Have LO tomorrow so if he naps ill reply then, if not it'll be Friday.
    Really appreciate what everyone's said, thank you.
    Pushing through to Jan 2020 to start saving and debt busting!

£8k loan
    £0 savings
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not downgrade the Spotify to the free version and just listen to some ads to save the money?
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The car seems just too expensive for your current income and commitments.

If you only spend £40 pm on fuel and you work from home, could you manage without? Possibly hire a car for family visits? More brutally, can family come to you for a year or two?

Childcare costs appear to negate the benefit of you working from home full time. Why are they so high in this scenario?

Husband insisting on multiple entertainment streams suggests he's not quite on board with how tight your budget now is and also more brutally how low your incomes are.

Low incomes unfortunately don't easily support a family plus mortgage plus car plus luxuries. Something probably has to give during the childcare years to void a debt spiral. Longer term, increasing your income is the best bet for a lifestyle change.

Some of the items missing from your SoA are needed regardless (clothes, presents and car maintenance are obvious ones) and it should be completed fully. Suspect your shortfall is a bit higher.

Your food budget looks an immediate win of possibly £50-£100 pm and losing one or two of the entertainments for a while - in your case each £10 pm really counts. Husband probably still thinks 'its only a tenner'. What about him alternating - a few months of each, not all at once?

Surveys and other bits of online earning could add a bit as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure