Choosing wool - help

Options
sammyjammy
sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
I have found a pattern I want to knit (beginner!) and it tells me to use the wool in the link https://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-ultra-alpaca, its very expensive so I was wondering if someone might be able to give me an idea what type of wool to replace it with - Aran? Double knit? Chunky?

Would I need to use a different needle size do you think?

this is the pattern if it helps http://www.berroco.com/sites/default/files/downloads/patterns/avocet_b.pdf

Grateful for any advice

Sam
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2019 at 7:50PM
    Options
    5mm needles usually equate to aran weight yarn. If you go for pure wool, then you'll probably need the same amount of wool as per the pattern - but note that the skeins are 100gm, whereas most balls of aran wool in the UK are 50gm. If you go for a lighter wool/synthetic mix, then you'll probably need slightly less as the yardage per 100gms will be more than the skeins.

Cheapest would be a 100% acrylic yarn - but that makes my hands sweat. A wool mix is far nicer to work with.

Do a tension square using 5mm needles - the pattern instructions will tell you what size x number of stitches/rows should come out as. If your tension square is too big, then try again with 4.5mm needles.

If it comes out too small, then your tension is too tight - loosen up or you'll end up with cramp!
  • sammyjammy
    edited 27 March 2019 at 9:20PM
    Options
    You are such a star! Thank you so much for your extensive advice, I've noticed that Aldi have Aran wool in from Sunday which is 400g a ball and 25% wool so that might be suitable, love the idea of doing a tension square!
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    You are such a star! Thank you so much for your extensive advice, I've noticed that Aldi have Aran wool in from Sunday which is 400g a ball and 25% wool so that might be suitable, love the idea of doing a tension square!

Yes, that'll be fine for a first go at a garment. When you say that you are a beginner, have you knitted anything before? If not, then I'd start with a simple scarf rather than launch straight into a jacket (although the pattern does look nice and easy). Hint: Buy a crochet hook when you buy your knitting needles - much easier to pick up any dropped stitches with a hook !
  • sammyjammy
    Options
    I have knitted a couple of cardigans before, just have to stick to fairly basic patterns and am very poor at unpicking and getting it back on the needle if I make a mistake (or more likely get carried away and knit too many rows):D

Love the crochet hook idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family