Internet Explorer Homepage Default Problem.

Options
I wonder if anyone could help with this please?

I used to use a computer for on line gambling and had the homepage set to a gambling site. I now want to give the computer to someone who (guess what) has had a gambling problem in the past so obviously don't want this gambling site as the homepage.

I have done the usual "tools", "Internet Explorer", then changed the homepage to Google, then "Apply". When I close the browser and re-open it sure enough Google is the homepage, but.............. if I switch the whole computer off and then on again I find that the homepage has mysteriously reverted back to the gambling site, very frustrating.

I phoned the gambling site and told them about this asking if they knew how I could get around it and if there was any code they had deliberately put on their web site that made my web browser a virtual prisoner to their web site. They said that they didn't know why it was happening and denied that it was down to a code. I don't really believe them.

I would be grateful if any one could help with this.
(MY web browser is Microsoft IE6 and I have Windows XP)
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Download and install SpyBot Search & Destroy; http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html including the Tea Timer. Once installed, run the program.
    This should solve the problem.
    If not, go to the 'mode' tab in the top left hand corner of the SpyBot interface and make sure it is 'advanced mode'.  Then, click on 'Tools' in the bottom left hand corner and on to 'Browser Pages'. Within should be a list of sites that can open when IE is started. Click on the offending page and then the 'change' toggle at the top of 'SpyBot' and change it to whatever page that you'd like to.

Send Patrick Kolla a few quid for his program.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure