UC and owning my house

Options
I am wanting to make a joint universal credit claim for me and my husband for what would have been working tax credits. We meet all the criteria and the calculator says we can claim. However we own our house outright. Is that taken in to account as savings and does it effect the claim? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. Many thanks.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    A property you own and live in is disregarded when claiming benefit.
  • Sheepski
    Sheepski Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    The house isn't classed as savings (unless you own and rent out multiple properties for example). You won't get any help towards your mortgage however, at least for the first 9 months. After that there's a loan to help pay the interest part of the mortgage.
  • Phoimorob
    Options
    Thank you tellit01
  • Spender£
    Spender£ Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The Property is disregarded under JSA however, last time i checked UC is not allowed for property owners unless something has changed, i was told as JSA has finished i would need to sell my house and live on the proceeds before getting UC and so i have to make sure i don't lose my job ever again.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    i was told as JSA has finished i would need to sell my house and live on the proceeds before getting UC and so i have to make sure i don't lose my job ever again.

Who told you that?
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 June 2019 at 7:37PM
    Options
    The Property is disregarded under JSA however, last time i checked UC is not allowed for property owners unless something has changed, i was told as JSA has finished i would need to sell my house and live on the proceeds before getting UC and so i have to make sure i don't lose my job ever again.

That’s completely wrong information. A home owner can claim UC subject to the normal means testing and the house is ignored as capital if the claimant lives in it.

If you own any property you are not living in then that would normally be capital (with some exemptions) and you would be expected to sell it.

As sheepskin posted a home owner can get help with mortgage interest after 9 months (but this help is now an additional loan rather than a benefit payment).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure