Why say “I'm on annual leave”? blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Read Martin's "Why say 'I'm on annual leave'?" Blog.
Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• x3ja
    x3ja Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I use "annual leave" because saying you're "on holiday" sounds like you're always jetting off to somewhere exotic, whereas you might just be enjoying a few long lie-ins. However, I do say "holiday" when that's what I'm doing - like when I'm off to Morocco soon - can't wait to see the sun - I've forgotten what it looks like! :j
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It differentiates from other types of leave - paternity leave, sick leave, sabbatical, etc.
  • Adasta
    Adasta Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Because it's the type of leave which is given annually?
  • lonestar1
    lonestar1 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    I say Im on Annual Leave because I rarely go on actual holidays but If I tell some of my work collegues Im just lazing around at home they may be tempted to call me at home if a problem crops up
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Saying I'm on annual leave is just a less offensive (and shorter) way of saying Yes, I knew perfectly well I was not going to be in at work, but I didn't make any effort to ask someone else to look at my emails - so you will just have to wait for an answer until I return. Tough!
  • Amber_Sunshine
    Options
    It would make more sense to use the term 'annual leave' here in Spain, where a lot of firms close in August because of the heat. So staff have to take holidays then.
  • rb6ac
    rb6ac Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    My out of office uses the phrase 'annual leave' due to the fact I use the same mobile for work and personal calls. My mobile number is shown on my e-mail signature, and so I use 'annual leave' rather than say "I'm not in the office at the moment" to deter people from contacting me on the mobile. Not just clients, but colleagues too. And, as JimmyTheWig says, it differentiates from other types of leave. x
  • notlongnow_2
    Options
    No idea. Its what it says at the top of my holiday form.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
    Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm happily retired now so my annual leave is ..... errm .... annual :rotfl:

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • OTTO
    OTTO Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    It's a polite way of saying any combination of the following in one sentence:

"Leave me alone to enjoy my own free time"
    "Do not try to contact me"
    "I will not be replying to any emails, even though I may be monitoring them"
    "I am on a super holiday of a lifetime, but I dont want you to know that"
    "I'n not being paid to work, so get lost"

Probably about 200 other lines that could be added, but they all can be summed up in one line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure