Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• rharris118
    Options
    June/July time last year i was going through the recruitment process for a well known fast food chain beginning in 'M' and ending in 'cdonalds' for a business manager position, i received an email saying I'd got the job, confirmed I'd accept and travelled 200 miles to the head office, only to meet another richard harris (who was doing the same as me) where it was discovered that there'd been an error and i hadn't got the job yet as i hadn't finished the recruitment process, but richard number 2 had for a different area.

I never received any compensation for the travel, or leaving my current job and taking 2 months to get another. just kept being passed between departments and lawyers.

i was going to send the full story off a while back but didnt know how to go about it. any ideas?
  • familyfirst_2
    Options
    i am interested in writing short stories for magazines. does anyone know any links for any also does anyone have any knowledge of payment copywright etc
  • sharpsbus
    Options
    Hi all, I've not recieved a reply from 'love it' mag. I recently sent in a story but i have no idea if it's been read by the ed at the mag (or whoever reads the stories posted/emailed to them) no response as yet. Anyone know how long it takes just to let me know if it shall be accepted for feature or not? is the mag reliable? I often read the online site, dnt really buy the magazines much these days as very busy but do like to pop online occasionally to 'catchup' with events n read real life stories. Anyway, if anyone has used th mag and sent a story let me know if you have been successful or not.
  • jamesaberry
    jamesaberry Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2012 at 10:50PM
    Options
    The market is almost saturated with "I've been to Afghanistan" books, but mine is a different spin.

I've been looking for a publisher for my diary of being wounded for about 5 years now...

https://www.soldieringon.com

I'd appreciate thoughts!
  • sharpsbus
    Options
    ..ps, .. I'd like to write a book, how do i go about it???
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sharpsbus wrote: »
    ..ps, .. I'd like to write a book, how do i go about it???

So that you don't get a reply "find pen and paper, put pen in hand, apply pen to paper", could you say what type of book, i.e. fiction, non-fiction, whether self publish, publish as an e-book, or hope to find mainstream publisher.

A useful guide is the Writers and Artists Yearbook.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sharpsbus
    sharpsbus Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 1 April 2012 at 2:14PM
    Options
    done th pen to paper already. It is a true factual story to date. Would like to self publish - i have most of it written online as a journal on my blog. Writers and Artists Yearbook? -never heard of it, where do i find that?? and thanks :)
    FOUND IT -
    HTTP : / / W W W . WRITERS AND ARTISTS . CO . UK / STORE / WRITERS AND ARTISTS (IGNORE THE BLANKS)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • iambecca
    Options
    I have a pretty cute dog and I have some really cute pictures of him. Does anybody know of any magazines or anything that would pay any money for me to send them in?

I'm a little short of cash and it's about the only thing I can do.

• Davella
    Davella Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I just came across this website and wondered if anyone had heard of it...

http :// www. sell us your story. com (sorry for the broken up link I'm a forum newbie)

Is it legit? Would you use it, or contact mags/newspapers directly?

I have some adorable pictures of my cat, from over the last 5 years....wonder how many of them I can get published? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure